• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Closed trails Keweenaw Peninsula for 2019 season

RSVECTORFREAK

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Vector ER
This is a map of trails that will be closed in Houghton/Hancock area in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan for the 2019 due to flood damage. It's going to be a rough year with only one trail open to Copper Harbor

Attachments

• IMG_20180919_074241.jpg
    IMG_20180919_074241.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 356

I have been in the Keweenaw for a week now and it looks like the majority of the damage is probably in Houghten county. There has been major damage in and near Houghton, Hancock and Lake Linden. There are roads that need completely replaced/rebuilt yet. Some have been temporarily repaired so they are at least usable.

Some of the trails have had major damage repaired and debris removed to make it usable for all to use! There is just not enough time to repair all before Winter. Pictures and videos just cannot show the extent of damage and ravage the people of the Keweenaw have suffered.

It could be years before this damage is reversed. A HUGE Thank You to the crews and residents to make your Peninsula a better place for all of us to use!!

So if I'm reading this correctly, there is no way to get through Houghton by trail? We usually stay in Rockland and head north. May have to stay somewhere else this year if that's the case.

So if I'm reading this correctly, there is no way to get through Houghton by trail? We usually stay in Rockland and head north. May have to stay somewhere else this year if that's the case.
That's certainly what it looks like. I can only guess that the locals will find an off-trial route to get from Hancock to where the trail is open south of Houghton. And at some point, everyone else will also find that path.

I bet the Houghton area business’s and snowmobile clubs are planning a solution....I hope

I would sure hope they come up with a way to get to Houghton from South Range. One thought that came to mind when I saw all the damage from the flooding is what is the ravines going to look like in the woods? There are going to be some deep valleys I think. Off trails guys are going to have to really watch it this year.

Here is a map i got off the Michagan DNR website that shows trail 3 is open from South Range to Houghton. It's dated Sept 25th So i hope this is true.

Attachments

• 2018_10_09_09_54_34.pdf
    529.5 KB · Views: 223
What's up with that Chassell to Houghton trail? It's been a land owner cluster for years. It sure could alleviate some traffic if a proper loop could be established. You can't run the ice safely all the time. Without being a local, I never know when it's safe to run the ice. I guess most just pin it and pray to make it to the lift bridge!

Bump to see if there any updates on trail closures in and out of the Houghton area?

I'm curious if there is any temporary trail access around the damaged areas, or trail 3 through that area is truly inaccessible this season?

Back