• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clunking noise from track

sws564

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper ltx dx
2006 Attak
2009 RS Vector
I have a 2006 venture rs with 2800 miles on it and having a problem trying to pin point the source of this noise. When I start off from a stop I get this clunking coming from the track, It's definitely in the front and sounds like the right side. It only does it from a dead stop and stops when I get rolling, only time I hear it is at take off. Checked track tension and seems to be OK, thought it was the drive shaft bearing last year, replaced bearing but still have noise. At first I thought the cogs on the drive sprockets were skipping but can't see how that would happen with the track tension where it is now. Any help appreciated, Steve

Loose chain?
Thanks for the reply, I did adjust it at the beginning of the the season, but will check again. Would I feel that at all different speeds? This only occurs when I'm taking off from a stop, forward or reverse, soft take off. I just checked the track tension and in the middle of the measurement range with 22 lb weight as per the manual.

Normal. There's a lot of play in the drivetrain. Just take the belt off and move the secondary around a bit. You'll see how it is. I posted the same question 8 years ago. Mine has always clunked a bit going into reverse and then going forward.

I know what you are saying about the drive train play and the clunking going into gear, this happens without going into reverse. It does seem like it is skipping on the front drive sprockets, they look ok as far as I can tell and my track tension is set to manual specs, like I said, it only happens when a start off and stops at around 4 to 5 mph, I dont hear it again until I stop and take off again. These are soft starts, I'm not slamming the throttle on.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

If the chain is tight then I'd call it all good. BTW - the factory spec for track tension is way too tight! My measurement (without studs) is you should be to get three fingers (in Boy Scout salute position) between the track and the rails. Four fingers is better but then listen for track ratcheting if you don't have the thru the track drivers.

If the chain is tight then I'd call it all good. BTW - the factory spec for track tension is way too tight! My measurement (without studs) is you should be to get three fingers (in Boy Scout salute position) between the track and the rails. Four fingers is better but then listen for track ratcheting if you don't have the thru the track drivers.
Thanks for the help 4strokeluvr111, I am assuming that is with the weight hanging on it? I am running the stock drivers btw. Wouldn't running the track looser make it worse? Just asking, again thanks for the help.

I adjusted the track like you suggested and aligned, after running back and forth in the garage I can see the track kind of slap when it comes off the sprocket which is causing the clunking I am feeling. I is like the track is not coming off the sprocket teeth smoothly. My next question is is this a sign of worn sprockets?

How many miles are on the sled? I have a hard time thinking that worn drivers are the cause of this.

How many miles are on the sled? I have a hard time thinking that worn drivers are the cause of this.
2800 miles, the best way I can describe it is the lug on the track hangs on the sprocket just before it is released and makes like a slapping noise at the beginning of the slider on the rail.

X2
All so check the front A-arm bushings with the front off the ground , If the bushings are shot the Arm's might be slamming back and forth.

sws564 - where in the USA do you live? Not asking for your address or anything.......there might be a TY member close to you that could give you a hand. If you lived close to me I'd tell you to bring the sled over and I'd help you figure out what if anything is wrong.

sws564 - where in the USA do you live? Not asking for your address or anything.......there might be a TY member close to you that could give you a hand. If you lived close to me I'd tell you to bring the sled over and I'd help you figure out what if anything is wrong.
I am near Albany NY

Sent from my Z740 using Tapatalk

Suspension bolt egged out on the rail . Maybe where the front "W" arm connects to the rails.

Suspension bolt egged out on the rail . Maybe where the front "W" arm connects to the rails.
I really don't think it is coming from the suspension, I had it out this fall and went through it pretty good and replaced worn parts. I can make it do it just running it the garage a short distance. I had my son run it while I layed on the ground next to it and looked at the driver operation the best I could. I think there is a definite problem with the right outer driver since that is the one making the track slap. I've never changed drivers on a sled but is it possible if one is damaged somehow it becomes out of time with the others?

Back