• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch alighnment... TAPP and STM KNAPP

max rolph

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
998 turbo
Soo while im in middle of pre winter over haul... i decided to do a clutch alignment.. usually in pevious post i have talked about doing a float alignment and then doing shims to match. this time i did as Knapp does just to see how close i was at my float setting.... well it was off, soo here is how i did it
with belt off and clutch bolt removed.... i went to Bolts Plus and got a 4" bolt sam thread as puller and large fender washer and a 2'' piece of pvc pipe, 1.5 dia, screwed the bolt in to clutch with washer and pipe to colapse it 1/2 way in. then put secondarywith no shims behind it on opened up wide then put belt on, then released secondary while turning counter clockwise both primary and sec till BELT WAS TIGHT and basically running at a 1:1 ratio. then took a straight edge across flat surface of sec... extending paralell along side of belt to primary clutch. then with a vernier measured distance from straight edge to belt in 2 spots right at sec and right at primary.... make the measurement even by pushing in or out the sec, once you have the two measurements even..... take you vernier and measure inside of sec hub from briven shaft to outer edge of sec hub. record this measurement exactly!! the reason for this is you cant get in to see the thickness of shims you need behind sec.

now remove belt and sec and add shims behind on shaft and then reinstall the sec, take another measure of the inside of hub and keep adding or taking away shims till you get same measurement as recorded. then locker down. i think mine was off from float measurement aprox 1/8".

Back