• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCH HELP!! Normal Noisy Primary OR Time to Rebuild??

Yamaken

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder R-TX SE
Hello all!

I've been having a hard time finding information on clutch maintenance, proper tolerances, and how much noise is too much noise from this Yamaha primary clutch..

My sled is a 2017 Sidewinder R-TX with just under 6,000kms. Bone stock for the first 1,500kms and then upgraded to TD Performance Trail (250hp) along with the suggested Dalton clutch springs and weights.

Last time I was out I heard a noise coming from my chain case (which was just serviced less than 500kms ago) so I pulled the side covers off and listened as best I could to determine where the noise was coming from while doing some short accelerations. I'm hoping the noise was just a loose chain "zinging" which I've tightened and haven't had the chance to test yet (is there a chance it could be a jackshaft bearing as well?) BUT while listening for the chain case noise and with the side covers off, I noticed the primary making a TON of noise; it's always been loud but this was next level cold start diesel territory with the left cover off.. lol

From my very limited knowledge of clutches and few hours of research, I'm assuming my clutch needs to be rebuilt but what do you guys think? Is rebuilding with Yamaha OEM parts best or is there a proven aftermarket solution that I should entertain and if so, what are the pros/cons of going that route?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the video!

I have used Polaris spider button shims to make up for wear of the buttons and squish the 0-rings more. The clutch must be split to do this.
I have ground the roller pins shorter so they can't move as much. But they can still move a few thousandths.

Agree, too much play.. but is that the answer to noise reduction or elimination ???? Yamaha claimed that their new clutches are very durable and have very good belt wear back in 2016 upon releasing the Sidewinders … How true is that statement??? Your cluches have 6000 kms and thats enough to warrant a rebuild update in my opinion… Aftermarket may be better but the cost may make that option not very attractive … Even the newer Cat clutch is a stretch to justify if it turns out to be a real winner..

Get a primary from an older Yamaha Japan-built model (Apex, Vector, RX-1, etc). You won't have the roller issues. It will still have the typical rattle then.

15K on my stock clutches. Never did anything to them. They are very durable IMO, if you're running stock. I don't beat the crap out of my sled either. Ride aggressively sure, but roll on the throttle. No blown belts, but change the belt every 2k miles. Gonna rebuild this off season.

Back