• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Kit Questions. Who is running what and why?

Schlick55

Pro
09 Nytro XTX with 114 studs down the center, Symons III's and a MBRP pipe. I am 6'2" 285lbs and need some advice on a clutch kit. I mostly ride ditches and trails in north centeral Iowa. I am a semi-aggressive stand up rider. The Schmidt low engagement kit looks like a good deal to me, but I don't know for sure. I had a Hartman kit on my RTX and I think it was more of a mountian setup, I didn't care for it all that much.

There are several links on this forum regarding clutching (use search). Unfortunately we've lost probably the best tuner out there, TURK( RIP) but from talking to him previously and others, it's either Ulmer's kit (set it and forget it) along with Heel Clicker 2-speeds or Drag & Fly kits from Super torquer (turks recommedation).
There's lots of recipes for set-ups and the guys on this forum are more than willing to help. Just remember it's not the clutch it's the tuner!!! Other awesome recommendations are roller size, 14.5 mm are the best way to tame the launch aspect and easier on belts and sheaves for Nytro's. Good Luck.

I spoke with a couple of folks regarding this exact question and just ordered the "Comfort" kit from Schmidt Brothers. It should be here this week.

They seem to know their stuff and I spoke live with a guy who has my exact same sled. He put the "comfort" kit on his `09 Nytro RTX and sez it made a HUGE difference. I'm 5'10" and 165# so I'm hoping for some significant results.

I'll update you once I install it but maybe - just maybe - I won't be hitting my head on the trailer this year when I unload!

I put the Ulmer Kit on my 09 XTX, Great. Give him your sled set up weight and riding style and it is plug and play.
Ulmer Racing is also a site sponsor.

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

canoehead said:
There are several links on this forum regarding clutching (use search). Unfortunately we've lost probably the best tuner out there, TURK( RIP) but from talking to him previously and others, it's either Ulmer's kit (set it and forget it) along with Heel Clicker 2-speeds or Drag & Fly kits from Super torquer (turks recommedation).
There's lots of recipes for set-ups and the guys on this forum are more than willing to help. Just remember it's not the clutch it's the tuner!!! Other awesome recommendations are roller size, 14.5 mm are the best way to tame the launch aspect and easier on belts and sheaves for Nytro's. Good Luck.

What? I didn't know Turk passed away! I am on here all the time-not as much in the summer but I totally missed that one. He has been helping me via this site since my 2000 piped SXR 700 with clutching, very sad/ sorry to here this!

The ulmer really make the 3 cylinders come alive.There is more all around plus more mph.

I got a schmidt bros Stage II waiting to go in. I went with Schmidt bros because there's is adjustable enough to work for me in the flat lands and the mountains.

I had DNFs last year and they worked well but I ended up with a flat spot worn into the weights.

xtx

I have the 09 XTX and went with just the 14.5 rollers. Made a day and night difference. I ran against a buddy of mine who also has the 09 XTX, his is stock, no studs. I was able to pull him from the start by a couple of sled lengths and slowly walked further away.

Rollers are an easy quick change with great benifit!!!!!!!!! :Rockon:

Re: xtx

dox06 said:
I have the 09 XTX and went with just the 14.5 rollers. Made a day and night difference. I ran against a buddy of mine who also has the 09 XTX, his is stock, no studs. I was able to pull him from the start by a couple of sled lengths and slowly walked further away.

Rollers are an easy quick change with great benifit!!!!!!!!! :Rockon:

X2!!

They are OEM rollers used on apex, attack, srx and viper models..

Thanks for the info, the factory 14.5 roller part number is 8FG-17624-00. I think I'm gonna order me some.

Do the rollers, add 5 grams to each primary arm and blue pink blue spring?

Increased force on the roller, heavier weight for a lower engagement, and a slightly lower spring rate on engagement?

I wouldn't add 5 grams your rpms are going to be way low.The 14.5 rollers will decrease your rpms already.The 14.5 rollers will also lower your engagment rate.

Back