• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Kit Questions. Who is running what and why?

you should be adding or subtracting weight from your arms to adjust the rpm.if youre gaining rpm with a stiffer spring its because your slipping the belt whitch creats heat thus destroying belts and cracking clutch sheivs.you need to find a balance between ramp profile,ramp weight,and primary spring......test,test,test

pro116 said:
RX1MPete said:
Comfort kit or just buy 14.5mm rollers for my 08 MTX?

14.5 rollers.
If you're boondocking much you will lose some backshift due to the fact this does change the engine braking and allows a little more roll on. But if you need to downshift quickly get on the binder..

I just ordered the 14.5mm rollers. Hopefully I will get the same benefits with them as the comfort kit for less money.

I have a low profile enclosed trailer and when I launch up the ramp with the current clutch engagement it is scary! I have almost taken my head off a couple of times. The same goes with reverse. I won't let anyone else load the sled because I fear someone killing themselves or damage.

RX1MPete said:
I just ordered the 14.5mm rollers. Hopefully I will get the same benefits with them as the comfort kit for less money.

I have a low profile enclosed trailer and when I launch up the ramp with the current clutch engagement it is scary! I have almost taken my head off a couple of times. The same goes with reverse. I won't let anyone else load the sled because I fear someone killing themselves or damage.

For low elevation that backshift is still awesome on the Mtx.Pete I also have a 43 helix and geared up the nytro slightly to lower the rpm on the trails and better fuel milage.

I will leave mine as is with the rollers. I don't ride groomed trails. Only lakes and bush trails, breaking trail, ice-fishing, etc. I just want that aggressive engagement gone. Thanks for the advice on the rollers pro116!

Pete if you want even lower and softer engagment put in a Orange-Pink_Orange yamaha primary spring.

Okay, is this the same type of spring that Schmidt Comfort kit uses?

RX1MPete said:
Okay, is this the same type of spring that Schmidt Comfort kit uses?
I'm not sure about the rates. I put the rollers in and talked to Chris at SMB and they wanted $50 + shipping for their spring. ($20 for Y-P-Y or O-P-O from a dealer) I like the stock one for now. I might consider going up a tooth next year when I change tracks, not sure about altering the secondary yet.. Good luck but you will notice a huge diff just with the rollers, it really gets rid of the launch effect..

Pete I'm not shure on what spring they use.The spring i listed will run the same rpm but just have a lot lower engament.
Guys following this remember the mtx and short track/xtx have a diffrent profile clutch weight and diffrent primary springs so what i'm telling Pete will be diffrent for the short tracks.

pro116 said:
Pete I'm not shure on what spring they use.The spring i listed will run the same rpm but just have a lot lower engament.
Guys following this remember the mtx and short track/xtx have a diffrent profile clutch weight and diffrent primary springs so what i'm telling Pete will be diffrent for the short tracks.
Ok I understand that but a few guys on here are running 14.5's with a O-P-O spring like Schkick 55 on XTX's.

my dealer recommends just to change the spring for lowering the launch rpm. What advantages do i get from the 14.5mm rollers?

canoehead yes you can run that set up in any model i'm just saying in the short track you will see a rpm drop.

mathis,The 14.5 rollers will grab the beldt harder and they will make the weight act more aggressive.You will get a better holeshot.There will be a slight decrease in backshift but not that noticable.

So running these rollers my top RPM's are down 84-8550 rpm. What's the best method of getting them up to say 8900-9000?
Thanks
Sure wish Turk was still with us, for many reasons!

Back