• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch kits - real world results?!?

What did the clutch include??

Whos kit were you using..

The thing about clutching that sucks.. is that it must be constantly adjusted according to conditions..

welterracer said:
Whos kit were you using..

The thing about clutching that sucks.. is that it must be constantly adjusted according to conditions..
Anything with substantially hard snow is the only way to tell if the kit works or not. I would have to believe that your kit just does not work or you may need way more traction to maybe see it work.

I did a quick run with hh,s & a different secondary set up & gained nothing racing my buddies over a stock set up. I clutched my attak to run at 9800 holeshot to 10,300 & sled was about the same. I kinda thought that the factory clutching was pretty close but not that close.I have to do more testing cus this was a quick bolt in job but I was surprised also. All I did to my stock clutching was raise engagement about 300 rpm.

These are the kinds of tests that need to be done, real world against another sled for actual comparisons, very good job SRXracer!

For the record, did you guys know that at the Old Forge shoot out the fastest Apex time was recorded with stock components????

Thanks for the reality check.

Not long ago Allen Ulmer stated that the change of spark plugs didn't change performance. I don't know the number of the plug that people were saying made more power. I never did believe it.

The kit included weights, springs, and helix.

Rotax, your right, more traction may help, but it will also help the stock set up too. One of the important thing to remember is we are testing this stuff for TRAIL sleds, could we stud the daylights out of our track, adjust the chassis for better holeshot, yup, we sure could - but then we would be getting along ways from the trail sleds that are fun to go ride 250 miles a day. It all goes back to the "real world" testing!

Maybe this is just freak thing on my sled and others are having better luck? As for who's stuff it is, i'm not saying because my intentions are not to send them down the river, but to find out what other people are finding out on their own sleds. I've talked to them a bit about it, and they are aware of what i found and working to fix it i believe. I think they do check out this site on occasion, and if they want to jump into the fray, go ahead, if not i don't care either.

I skimmed over your post rotax, sorry. However, I do agree with it. I believe you hit the nail on the head, the kits supply more power to the ground but make it more difficult to hook up. Now if you stud it to match the HP do you have a trail sled anymore???????
I also believe that if you stud the heck out of it a stock clutched sled will take you on top end cuz they don't have the rotating mass.

Food for thought...if you can increase the efficiency and find very little gains, you may see an increase in gas mileage.

Tom

Attachments

• Intall_KMod_Susp_APEX.JPG
    Intall_KMod_Susp_APEX.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 94
It depends on many things in a trail sled if your clutching will perform. I have said this before with the rx-1 and I'll say the same with the Apex. It takes many miles on the four-stroke the break them in. They will underev untill broke in! If you clutch it to run the RPM it should be faster. Now as it breaks in you have to continue to add wt. to get it back into the RPM range. The stocker meanwhile, is starting to wake up and turn more RPM. Will they end up performing the same? Only time will tell. I can tell you that John at Proline Performance has been working hard to come up with the perfect set up, knowing the senero I just explained. So far It's looking very good, as he now has a set up that puts 10 HP to the track over a good stocker. The testing continues in the field on sleds with and without studs to insure the dyno results. All indicators are that it works, as the clutched sleds are aprox. 10 lengths or so better than the stock counterparts. You need this real world testing to verify the results before selling kits. Thanks for posting SRXracer. To many people eager to get a jump on the next guy without field results and this happens.

Back