• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch puller

Phaze

Expert
I'm pulling the clutch off the RX using the puller I thought was for that sled. It's been a couple years since I bought it. Tried it and the clutch isn't popping. I know it takes some force. I have 2 pullers, the other one I thought was for the '93 Phazer. I looked on DK's website to hopefully get a pic of which was which(they don't show any for my sled). Well, as my luck would have it, they say they're both for the Phazer. Say what? They look completely different. The one I'm ising is starting to bevel on the end. I quit. And yep, the mounting bolt still screws in, thankfully. Please advice.

Thanks fellas. I was using the bottom one.....

I used one just like the bottom one. Bought it on eBay. The first time I used it was on a 99 venture 700. Took a lot of force but the clutch popped off, bending the puller in the process. The eBay vendor replaced it so I used puller 2.0 on my 03 rx1. Clutch came right off but again- the puller bent in the process although not at much as version 1.0. Again, the vendor replaced it. I'm guessing these pullers are either single use or this vendor sells cheap p.o.s. pullers.

Yeah, the bottom one was starting to mushroom. Went with the top one which was a lot better quality, even tho DK said it wont work. Worked slick. The tapered end fit nice in the taper in the shaft. Found that out once the clutch was off. May chuck the bottom one.

They talk about torquing initially to 85ft lbs, back it off, then torque to 43ft lbs I believe. I just have a an inch lb/Nm torque wrench. How critical is it to torque the bolt? When I had my polaris's, I just cranked the bolt down and called it a day.....

I bought mine from Alan Ulmer back in 05 and it fits all my Yamahas from 1983 to 07 without any bending or mushrooming. I suggest when buying a puller go for quality not price. Torque instructions are very important. If you over tighten your clutch the first time you heat it up it will walk further up the crank shaft taper and will take your clutch out of alignment. Secondly you will have trouble getting it off. I have a friend that put his on an F7 with an impact gun and next year would not come off at all. He had to take an angle grinder and cut it off in pieces.

i've messed up a lot of crank threads with cheep pullers .... if you buy a new one everytime they aren't so bad ...but if you are going to be using it over and over a yamaha one is the way to go.....i got one this weekend and pulled my apex clutch witch has been on there since 2007....it worked but i don't expect it will do that hard of a pull again without bending ..either of them pullers should work .its 18 mm fine thread ...its bad to have to spend that kind of money but its better then trying to fix threads ....a hack that is out there now is cutting the bottom off of the puller so it don't mess with your threads and filling the hole full of grease ..wrap your threads with teflon thread and it comes off hydraulically ..youtube it ....keep your belt on the to keep it from hitting you in the face

Back