• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch rattle.... DRIVING ME NUTS

RollinTurbo

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha SideWinder B-TX
2018 Btx SE

Does anyone else get super agitated with the clutch rattle in this thing.... I'm in love with sled But damn!

I have looked into it and it appears the 2018 "update" included longer spacers and loose rollers in primary, I assume this is intentional to rattle rollers and keep them rolling

But I can't stand this rattle... most prevalent at idle - mid throttle range while riding, Yami dealer said I could have the spacers shaved down so the bolt can be seated against clutch vs. loose and rattling but this may effect the rollers im not sure

Anyone fixed this issue.... I've tried rubber o-rings and such with nothing working yet!

Little louder muffler will mask it. LOL!

Nope, it's just a loud rattling bucket of bolts clutch. I have o-rings on the roller bolts to try and quiet it down, but it does not help much.

I hear the muffler thing... I will be Doing the 265 kit next season so maybe that will help...

I've tried O-rings and they lasted maybe 20 mins before they just went missing... thought about trying nylon washers...

What else can I do? I would hate to put a Cat clutch on but atleast they dont rattle

I put nylon or plastic washers on mine and it helped for sure
Still not quiet by any means

Mine was so loud last year to me, that I called Yamaha to express my concerns on that issue.

I thought it would come apart an grenade by the amount of noise it was making at all rpm’s and of course at idle. End of season riding on warm days in lots of sticky wet snow it was especially noisy. Almost like a knocking engine.

I was told by Yamaha that I was the only complaintant pertaining to Sidewinder Primary clutch noise problem, and they need many more calls to call it an issue worth moving with.

Funny thing, I had a hearing shift during my last audiometric yearly test, so may be why this year it does not seem as bad as last year..

Mine was so loud last year to me, that I called Yamaha to express my concerns on that issue.

I thought it would come apart an grenade by the amount of noise it was making at all rpm’s and of course at idle. End of season riding on warm days in lots of sticky wet snow it was especially noisy. Almost like a knocking engine.

I was told by Yamaha that I was the only complaintant pertaining to Sidewinder Primary clutch noise problem, and they need many more calls to call it an issue worth moving with.

Funny thing, I had a hearing shift during my last audiometric yearly test, so may be why this year it does not seem as bad as last year..
Yamaha moving on an issue? Do they honestly expect us to drink that koolaid? Why haven’t they done recalls on the shitty oil reservoir seals that have failed for so many? Or the relays that keep freezing up when these Sidewinders are being used in winter temperatures? Or the useless rollover valves? And on and on..... I’ve found over time that I just get used to the clutch noise and dial it out. Like living next to an airport, freeway or railroad overpass....

Yamaha moving on an issue? Do they honestly expect us to drink that koolaid? Why haven’t they done recalls on the shitty oil reservoir seals that have failed for so many? Or the relays that keep freezing up when these Sidewinders are being used in winter temperatures? Or the useless rollover valves? And on and on..... I’ve found over time that I just get used to the clutch noise and dial it out. Like living next to an airport, freeway or railroad overpass....

I have been trying to find solid state relays to match the pin layout for my buddy....no luck yet.

Let's not forget some of the machines blowing belts while others don't. Hurricane had a post recently about the secondary clutch offset off on some. Also saw a machinist guy showing his photos on a FB thread trimming a few thousands off the back of the clutch to allow more spacer shims for proper float and offset. The owner shouldn't have to fix stuff like that.

Would replacing the Yamaha clutch with an stm clutch stop the noise or is this a useless battle because of the stub shaft and three cylinder harmonics?

I guess I'm not convinced its "loose parts" in the primary or the spline on the stub output shaft. I would think the rotational forces even at idle would push things against one side so to speak and quiet them down. I just wouldn't think there are any pulses to cause those parts to "go back and forth" due to the rotation forces.

Has anyone put a primary in a lathe and spun it at idle rpm? If the rattle occurs then it would seem obvious its in the primary. If not its most likely somewhere else.

Mine isn't bad but I didn't know about the issue when I first brought my sled home and almost called the dealer thinking I had a valve tick or valve train tick of some kind.

I guess I'm not convinced its "loose parts" in the primary or the spline on the stub output shaft. I would think the rotational forces even at idle would push things against one side so to speak and quiet them down. I just wouldn't think there are any pulses to cause those parts to "go back and forth" due to the rotation forces.

Has anyone put a primary in a lathe and spun it at idle rpm? If the rattle occurs then it would seem obvious its in the primary. If not its most likely somewhere else.

Mine isn't bad but I didn't know about the issue when I first brought my sled home and almost called the dealer thinking I had a valve tick or valve train tick of some kind.

The lathe wouldn’t have the same harmonics as your motor. A lathe is driven off a smooth running electric motor and a belt vs. an output crankshaft driven off three connecting rods horizontal to the crankshaft and internal combustion firing pulses not to mention camshafts, lifters..etc.

Nope. Have owned nothing but Yamaha's over the years. Don't even hear it now. :D

The lathe wouldn’t have the same harmonics as your motor. A lathe is driven off a smooth running electric motor and a belt vs. an output crankshaft driven off three connecting rods horizontal to the crankshaft and internal combustion firing pulses not to mention camshafts, lifters..etc.

Very true. I guess I'm still surprised the harmonics in the engine that cause this in the clutch isn't overcome by the rotational forces even at idle.

Back