• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching and Traction

BlueByYou2000

Staff member
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Guys,

I have completed testing on all major aftermarket clutch kits. Heres the skinny. They all work. BUT the big thing you have got to do is to hook them up. The stock clutch calibrations from Yamaha is the best I have ever seen and if your against a stocker and you dont have good traction products and correct weight transfer, they will give you all you can handle. The other interesting thing is it seems these sleds love to run at 11000 RPM. Testing the Proline, Ulmer, and CPR kits have all shown in side by side comparisons that if you are not reving at least 10800 a stocker may just give you more than you can handle. I have also tested with the stock weights, and 11000 RPMs with stock weights does not work as well as either of the 3 listed above. It is my opinion that if you do not have ample traction you are doing a injustice to any aftermarket clutch kit. More power to the ground translates into more track speed thus YOU NEED TO HOOK IT UP!!! Call for more details. 715-340-0554...BBY

Matt...I agree. Stock clutching running at 10,200 rpm runs side by side aftermarket clutching running at 10,600 rpm plus. Same top speed or better with stock clutching running lower rpm,s.

Interesting!! What rpm should it climb from 10,700?? When doe the rev limiter kick in, 11,200rpm???

BADSLED said:
Interesting!! What rpm should it climb from 10,700?? When doe the rev limiter kick in, 11,200rpm???

Climb from 10700 to 11000. Rev limiter is appx 11200-11300. Also should point out that if you do have traction these kits will put several lengths on any stock clutched sled from a stand still. From a roll on some kits are better than others...BBY

Nice post. Good info. I have ran into the same issues lately. Stockers are giving me a run for my money. I am running the HH setup you suggested at 10,200 with filters. Traction does not seem to be an issue for me. I get a great jump but it seems to fall flat on top. Maybe I should run alittle more RPM into her.

Matt, maybe you should post that this info is related to the Apex/Attak models, correct?

Maddog said:
Nice post. Good info. I have ran into the same issues lately. Stockers are giving me a run for my money. I am running the HH setup you suggested at 10,200 with filters. Traction does not seem to be an issue for me. I get a great jump but it seems to fall flat on top. Maybe I should run alittle more RPM into her.

Take some tip weight out, you need to be at 10400 with your Warrior. Appx 2 grams should do it...BBY

Matt, what were the top end results across the board.

BlueByYou2000 said:
Guys,

I have completed testing on all major aftermarket clutch kits. Heres the skinny. They all work. BUT the big thing you have got to do is to hook them up. The stock clutch calibrations from Yamaha is the best I have ever seen and if your against a stocker and you dont have good traction products and correct weight transfer, they will give you all you can handle. The other interesting thing is it seems these sleds love to run at 11000 RPM. Testing the Proline, Ulmer, and CPR kits have all shown in side by side comparisons that if you are not reving at least 10800 a stocker may just give you more than you can handle. I have also tested with the stock weights, and 11000 RPMs with stock weights does not work as well as either of the 3 listed above. It is my opinion that if you do not have ample traction you are doing a injustice to any aftermarket clutch kit. More power to the ground translates into more track speed thus YOU NEED TO HOOK IT UP!!! Call for more details. 715-340-0554...BBY

I will give you my personal opinion for what it is worth, when the stock setup hits 11,000rpm it is blowing it all out the back. I would put money on it, if you can hook up a stocker that pulls 11K it will beat them all. But what do I know.

Reaper said:
BlueByYou2000 said:
Guys,

I will give you my personal opinion for what it is worth, when the stock setup hits 11,000rpm it is blowing it all out the back. I would put money on it, if you can hook up a stocker that pulls 11K it will beat them all. But what do I know.

Ive tried that. Problem is it doesnt launch as hard as the aftermarket weights...BBY

So how much traction, do you need? I'm running 96 down the center? Will that be enough or should I increase to 144 down the center. I don't want to stud on the outside belt. Is it neccessay to stud the outside belt to make these kits work. It may sound they are just made for drag racing these kits, if traction is really required. Also, when I spoke to John, he indicated that traction was not really required and that it will still out perform the stocker in the midrange by 5 sled lengths. He said out of the whole really was the same as stock including the top end. He said it's the mid range is where the kit really responds. Your thoughts.....

I agree with John just as long as its not really loose snow. The looser the snow, the more power to the track, the more you will spin with ANY clutch kit for ANY sled. I think you need at least 144 studs. Add one to each paddle...BBY

Matt, what did you wrap the proline secondary spring to ?

Back