• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching for Turbo

sledheadgeorge

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Which one? I have 6
Maybe we can all pool our knowledge about clutching this monster and post results. My turbo gets in next week and I am sure i will have some issues to deal with.

I bought the MC Express. Its on its way and should be here next week.

Cluthching

I will be happy to share clutching with you, once I get some time into it. I have only ridden it a few times and haven't run it far enough to know much. I will be going with a Hauck Billet clutch. But we can still compare the weights by looking at the total grams if you are running a stock clutch and the helix shouldn't be affected. I hope to get out Sunday to start testing, if the weather cooperates.

Hey marc,you will like the looks of the hauck roller it is mean looking,and i bet the new launching weights that he makes will fit right in,those weights look like they will work great. pete 8)

Hauck Clutch

The clutch was shipped on Monday. So, I should have it today. As soon as I get it I will post pictures. The main reason I chose it, was because it uses Yamaha weights and springs. Since, I have lots of that stuff, I won't have to buy much new.

Buckeye: I also bought a billet primary. However I bought a primary that has a screw on spider. Please be very careful with the Hauck.The Spider is removable and I've been warned by serveral people that this isn't for trail use. The removeable spiders are for Race only applications.

Good luck with your testing. Keep me informed on yoiru progress. I will do the samew with mine!!!

:D

Hauck Clutch

I will look into this. I hope it is not race only.

If you talk to Hauck he will tell you it's safe for rail use. However I've spoken to HRP, AAEN, Simons CPR and Micro Belmont and they all warned me not to run a non screw on spider type clutch on the trail.

Hauck Clutch

Well I have it now, so time will tell. What is there concern? You're right they say they are using it on their turbo trail sled with no problems.

I´m going with stock weights.Best so fare..Dont have to try best out of the whole,,so what if I left one or two sledlenght after 60',after 300´I´m goin warp speed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

First attempt at clutching

Just got back from testing. First the conditions were virgin glare black ice. Even with over 300 ice picks traction wasn't great. The track was like a buzz saw. The thing is unbelievably fast. Saw 120MPH in less than 600 feet on the speedo. I didn't run too much further because stopping was very hard on that ice, even with the picks.
Here is what I was using:
Hauck Billet 4 Poster
Stock primary spring: Yell- sil-yell
14.5 rollers
Heavy Hittters: 53.8 grams total: weight 48.6, 3/4" allen in heel, Alum bolt (.9) in each hole, 4 of these for a tatal weight of 215.2 grams
Dalton 58 to 44 helix with silver sec spring set 6-2 in stock secondary.
Ran 10,800 rpm's and climbed to 11,000 in the short maybe 600 to 700 feet I was running. It had no problem pulling that helix and the clutches were amazingly cool. I used the 8dn belt.
I didn't run anyother combos because of time and the sled was overheating because of lack of lube and snow for cooling. I did about 16 runs and all were pretty much the same. Wish I had a radar gun there.
I am going to change the tip to 2.6 gr small steel bolt and see what that brings the rpm's down too. I am also thinking of using the green sec. spring to lower the upshift rpm's some too.
The nice thing about this clutch is, you can control the engagement by changing shims between the spider and the movable sheave, very easy. I am engaging in the mid 3's.
Absolutely no lag or bog either. The power is addicting. I don't see anything staying with this sled other than another turbo. The power just keeps coming. Top end will be unbelievable. Gearing is 25/38. Really no point in gearing down as there is plenty of power to pull the gears and the acceleration is incredible. Plus, traction is going to be an issue and gearing down will only make it more difficult. I gues I am going to have to replace some picks in my ice track. The track is a 1/2" camo speed track.
I'll update next time out. We are due to get 20" of snow tonite, so that could screw things up a little.

Back