• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching method/theory help

Martens199

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha nytro 153 mcx190
2015 SRViper mtx se 162 mcx270
Hey,
I have been studying/testing different clutching setups on my sled for the last 2 years and there is one of many things I still don't understand.
They always say adjust the primary first for desired max peak engine rpm and belt tension. Sure yes that makes sense. Now, I go to my secondary and change my shift patterns. For example I change out my helix to say a steeper angle, 37 to a 45. Now my rpm has dropped 3-400rpm. Do I return to my primary and remove weight to regain my rpm and loose some of my belt pressure cause of now having lighter weights? I can't find anyone ever talking about returning to the primary once the secondary has been changed.
Thanks

Usually lighter weights with steaper helix and heavier with shallower angle, or you can run multi angle helix witch loads hard on takeoff and will backshift better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Here is an example of what we have. Had a sled setup stock with a 43 helix. Secondary was running hotter temps. Change it to a 47 with a stiffer preload to help with upshift and maintain the backshift. Sled rips a lot better and the secondary is now cooler. But we have now dropped the engine rpm down to 8200 with the new helix. Now with the new helix the primary is to hot.
Got to take weight off primary to bring up the rpm back up. But this doesnt make sense to be reducing the primary weight now that it's running hot (slippage).

Well we are actually working on both. Nytro 144 mpi190 and a viper 163 mcx270. Tring to get them setup here at 2500ft. But most riding will be 5-6000ft. I just feel like I'm chasing my tail. Dealing with hot clutches and slow spool and take off at high altitude but down low they take off like rockets. Also snow is lacking down low so it's really hard to test to know a good setup for up high in deep and steep.

Back