• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cobra WT track

dixopr

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
VK pro 11
Nytro mtx 08
I'm a new VK Pro owner of a used 2011. I see that the 2016 comes with the 1.5" Cobra WT track, I also see that there is a 1.8" Cobra WT track. Has anyone used these tracks on a VK Pro. I'm way up north and everything we do here is on sled roads made by breaking trail. I have a nytro mtx that I bought last year and really love it, but it can't haul a load and has limited range. We typically have a fair bit of overflow and deep light powder that never really packs out. The torque of the nytro and hp make overflow no issue, just pin it and the front end picks up. I was a fan cooled man before these yamahas, I just love the 4 stroke, I just stopped riding in anything colder than -30 now, a big improvement :)

From the forum I can see that a riser block and wider skis are necessary for the Pro. It currently has 11" skins but was wondering about Yamaha's wider skis from 2013? Was also wondering about the rear skid, any improvements necessary for the 2011 year?

Any help would be most appreciated.

No replies at all?? Someone must have something to say here. I'm also looking for the 11inch ski part number. Yamaha says they just have the ski liner, no stand-alone ski. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We had a small snow fall yesterday so the sled is on my mind.

hi dixpor I have a 2014 with the wider skies and they are great, they float the front end a lot better. as for the 1.5"track I have no experience with it but it sounds like it should work. I also ride in -35c I remember last year it was -38c one morning when I went fishing

the deeper lugs should help in the powder for shure.

Well I asked questions today and the camoplast cobra is way better than the kimpex excavator which has a tendency to strecht a lot.....
A buddy will have a cobra 1,5 with the clutch sprockett install this friday on vkpro 2007......

I'm sure it is. Using a 2015 expedition wt the hook up is much better than the vk. In fresh light snow anyways, which I've found is a good judge of track hook up and traction. I wonder about the 1.8" might be awesome on a wt machine. I love the 2.25 on a mountain machine when not climbing.

You can install the cobra 1.5 but, you need to change your drivers to 2.86 pitch which is fine as long as you keep the diameter the same, I had the kimpex 1.5 excavator installed and it made a huge difference in powder snow. It didn't trench like the ripsaw did, it just kept the sled moving forward! That being said if you tow a sleigh it will fill it with snow and I mean fill it! No matter what track you go with you will need to install extrovert drivers, due to fact that the original ripsaw had center drive lug and all others don't, thus track ratcheting happens not good! As for the new style blow molded skis they are only 9in wide and you can get the part no. from parts list not accessories catalogue. Oddly enough the 2016 is gone back to original 7 in skis. The new 2016 is a different beast all together it can actually be sidehilled! I had the 9in ski skins with snow trackers, good combo, I had good flotation and awesome steering. hope this helps!

Last edited:
How is the 2016 different? What is it that makes you able sidehill the machine? I like the looks and would love to try one out. What are snow trackers?

I personally didn't try the new one but, talked to some older vk pro owners and they did try the new one, suppose to be night and day in difference. I tried the 2013 and that was totally different from my 06, all in the suspension setup and the balance is there in 2016, even gone back to the old 7 in skis! The snow trackers are the best, especially when using ski skins. If you look at the way your original carbide is cradled into the front and back of your ski, now add a ski skin which takes that away making your machine dart like crazy and heavy steering. Snowtrackers makes that go away! you could say its a cheap power steering, the difference is that noticeable. You will hear on this forum some negative comments on them, but it seems that the directions are not being followed, you have to adjust ski toe out or in depends on the machine. I had them on my 06 pro with 9 in ski skins, it made that machine rail on the trail and added xtra bite in loose snow, the front end didn't slide sideway on a off camber or side hill! They are worth the money! cheers!

What year is your 1.8 on? I'm amazed at what the vkpro can do, but my 1.25 track does give out in the really deep stuff. Would love to try a 1.8 on a widetrack. Can you post a picture?

Back