• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 33

Thread resurrection time. I've been working on my brother's 07 FX and i'm getting a Code 33, open circuit on cyl. 1. I tested both coils and they are fine. I also did a quick run through on the wiring harness but can't seem to find any problems. Brand new plugs as well. Could this be an ECU problem? Anyone have any suggestions?

Did this just occur when you changed out the plugs? If so install the old plugs and double check. Maybe a bad plug?

It may have happened at the end of last season. He said it was running rough when he put it away. I'll double check the new plugs, and I have a couple more new ones I could try as well. I'm also going to swap my ECU onto his and see if that makes a difference, otherwise I guessing it's in the sub-harness or the main wire harness. Not really looking forward to chasing bad wires or connectors.

swap the coils into side by each cylinders and see if the code changes. I know you said you tested them but this will eliminate the coils 100%.

I swapped my ECU onto his and the code 33 does not show up. I'm not sure how the ECU could go bad like that? I checked all the pins and they all look good, so I guess a new ECU is in his future.

I didn't start it, just flipped the key on to see what codes came up. I'll put the bad ECU on mine and see if comes up.

Turned out to be a bad ECU. Bought a used one off eBay and it works fine, no codes!

Code 34 coming up now! This is the same as the code 33 but the other cylinder. I now have no idea what is wrong with it. We are up in Duluth wanting to ride today and now we're stuck at the hotel! Any help is appreciated!

Did you try swapping with the #1 coil to see if the code goes to the other side?

I did that the last time I fixed it. Also checked them with an ohmmeter and everything was good. I'm thinking it's a problem with the injector sub harness or the main harness.

Back