• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

code 84

YamaMTX

Lifetime Member
Hello Allen I tried to call but with no luck so I will try here. I went to load my sled today for a test and tune trip to MI and I through a code 84. The idle picks up when I turn the handle bars to the point where it wants to move. Im guessing My gauge mounts are pulling at this but just would like to here your input. Thanks

Josh
Yamaha nytro/ulmer turbo

The throttle cable could be too tight with the way that the cable is mounted. There is an adjuster about 3-4" down on the cable from the "throttle block" on the handlebars that you can adjust the cable looser (you have to push back a rubber boot to adjust it).

Thanks Srx I changed the gauge set up that happened to be pulling on the throttle cable and it took care of it. I appreciate your help!

Hello Allen, I was wondering if you have heard of any issues with the trail tank? When I filled my sled up and went to start it it pumped a bunch of gas out the breather tube all over the ground. The next time I didn't fill it as much and it is fine that time. Now sitting in the garage overnight with only three bars of fuel showing on the gauge it seems like gas is leaking out from the fill hole down to where the seat starts. Just wierd, haven't looked real close at it yet as I just noticed it did it last night again. Thanks!

If you fill the Trail tank completely to the top then they will leak some fuel out of the overflow tube due to contraction/expansion of the tank itself. I have not seen any leaks around the filler neck area (if I'm understanding your description right)?

Allen I figured out the problem! When in Michigan the Boost gauge mount broke so I fixed it to the under side of the riser. It is a Liquid filled Autometer and I guess it has decided to leak and drip in the most misleading spot ever.
Do you know if I can just tighten the gauge up and add oil to it? What kind of oil and is it still accurate? I will be emailing Summit also as that is where I got it from. Thanks!

Before MI I did a oil change, it read normal on the dip stick when I left. This being the first trip. Tonight I checked the oil and it was super low, not really showing on the stick. I have not seen any leaks on the floor, could this be from the turbo and lines needing extra oil? There was no oil light on.

YamaMTX said:
Allen I figured out the problem! When in Michigan the Boost gauge mount broke so I fixed it to the under side of the riser. It is a Liquid filled Autometer and I guess it has decided to leak and drip in the most misleading spot ever.
Do you know if I can just tighten the gauge up and add oil to it? What kind of oil and is it still accurate? I will be emailing Summit also as that is where I got it from. Thanks!

Sorry I am not too familiar with the liquid filled gauges myself.

YamaMTX said:
Before MI I did a oil change, it read normal on the dip stick when I left. This being the first trip. Tonight I checked the oil and it was super low, not really showing on the stick. I have not seen any leaks on the floor, could this be from the turbo and lines needing extra oil? There was no oil light on.

The turbo/turbo system will take more oil. Double check your breather hose that comes from the top of the oil tank and see if there is evidence of oil coming out of there at all.

Allen Thanks for your help! I checked the oil again and it was still low, so I put about half a qrt. in and it showed up on the dipstick just below the "H" marker. After that I let it idle a minute and warm up, shut it off and checked it and now it is reading well above the "H" I must be losing my mind or this sled has a nack for playing tricks on me!

Srxspec said:
The throttle cable could be too tight with the way that the cable is mounted. There is an adjuster about 3-4" down on the cable from the "throttle block" on the handlebars that you can adjust the cable looser (you have to push back a rubber boot to adjust it).

I adjusted the collar down near the throttle tougue after removing the headlight pod on my 2007 apex. I adjusted tight and got code again then loose and received same 84 code. I had just recently installed a 2 3/4 riser to my handlebars thoughi do see the slack necessary for throttle area. Could the problem area be near the throttle clicker itself on handlebars?

Any help you can give me allen? Thanks in advance for your help.

Srxspec said:

I adjusted the collar down near the throttle tougue after removing the headlight pod on my 2007 apex. I adjusted tight and got code again then loose and received same 84 code. I had just recently installed a 2 3/4 riser to my handlebars thoughi do see the slack necessary for throttle area. Could the problem area be near the throttle clicker itself on handlebars?

Any help you can give me allen? Thanks in advance for your help.

Back