• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold starting

-15f and went to unload it off the trailer this morning, First attempt of about 6-7 seconds,nothing. Second attempt about 3 seconds in it started catching on one cylinder and took another 1-2 seconds of cranking for the rest to catch fire. My Phazer right next to it, 2 seconds and popped right off......... then died a few seconds later, second attempt popped off instantly and stayed running. Not sure I like how long it takes to start firing, but my Phazer hasn't been good frigid morning starter either and takes 2 attempt usually. At least it doesn't take a lot of cranking before it fires. Hot start or 10f+ the Viper fires up at about 2 seconds, Phazer fires instantly.

Well went out this morning and at -34 c would not go.ended up using the booster pack and even then had a real tough time getting it to start.

It would be interesting to see if anything helps with extreme temperature startups.

Temperature?
How long it sat since last ran?
ECU flash?
Stock spark plugs?
Type of engine oil?
Fuel type, non ethanol?
Stock battery or aftermarket?
Booster used?

Last edited:
2 days since it last ran.parked outside .87 ethanol fuel .stock plugs.flash unsure of.400 amp power pack to start and almost drained that.going to park in the shop from now on .lol.will never leave home without the booster.

Successful attempt? Yes
Temperature?-38 F overnight but around -32 F during start attempt
How long it sat since last ran? Overnight
ECU flash? 15 flash
Stock spark plugs? Yes
Type of engine oil? Mobile One 0w40
Fuel type, non ethanol? 87 10% ethanol (treated with a Lucas Oil additive)
Stock battery or aftermarket? Stock
Booster used? Yes, booster put on before attempt.

Additional comments: Connected the booster on the battery before attempting to crank it. Engine turned over and fired but took a couple of attempts of extended cranking before it started. I also have updated all the relays to what is suppose to be a better sealed mechanical relay (Mfr# 303-1AH-S-R1-12vdc, Mouser Electronics # 893-3031AHSR112VDC)

Traveled for an hour with 2014 Viper on open trailer at -34C. I cranked it a few times with no results. Then it fired and ran for a few seconds. I cranked it again and it ran. I couldn't believe it! I just had the most recent flash a few days ago and it fixed my speedo, idle speed and now starts on first attempt. I'm impressed to say the least.

:letsnow: I just got the latest flash two weeks ago. Haven’t ran my sled since I got it done and has been sitting outside the whole time in the trailer. Tried starting yesterday in -15 and would not go and drain my battery . Hooked Power pack up ,crank for seven seconds nothing ,crank for another seven seconds nothing ,crank for the third time for about three seconds and it fired up . If I’m going to be honest , I’ve never owned a sled that I’ve been so scared to crank the key on before .. I’m mean with the starter at first and now this cold start business.. Don’t leave home with out a power pack.. seriously !!!:sled1:

My friends vector was outside and it would not go either.his cat and nytro fired up but they were in his shop.got mine in the shop now and see if it will start tomorrow morning.if it doesn't start. back to the dealer.

My friend had the same issue with his viper one day with similar temps. If there is any moisture in the relays I think you are in trouble

When in the shop try some heat under the hood with a space heater

Those are some pretty crAzy temps
Ms

Ive been lucky..i think it was -34 the one time we spent a weekend up north, sat outside uncovered and it started like normal...aside from the gauge until it warmed up lol.....now i do have a different battery and plugs and mine is always on the battery tender

My own personal opinion is that the battery location is a very large part of the issue with cold weather starting. The size of the cables required to reduce voltage drop under load during extreme cold is also an issue. The battery is located to far from the starter and the connecting cables between are undersized for the VD. The cables are rated for the current however at a cost to the supply voltage.
I had five sleds all in the same conditions, three Apexs (two 2012 and one 2011) and two SR-Vipers. The Apexs started as they always do in extreme cold with some cranking but the rpm of the cranking was not diminished from the cold. The SR-Vipers tried to start but the cranking was so slow that they would not turn over. Hooked up cables to a truck, effectively removing the voltage drop and they fired off better than the Apexs. I have always thought that the battery located at the rear, as far away from the starter as was a ridiculous idea and a design issue that should not have been over-looked. I really wish someone would develop a battery relocation kit for the SR-Viper all models.

My own personal opinion is that the battery location is a very large part of the issue with cold weather starting. The size of the cables required to reduce voltage drop under load during extreme cold is also an issue. The battery is located to far from the starter and the connecting cables between are undersized for the VD. The cables are rated for the current however at a cost to the supply voltage.
I had five sleds all in the same conditions, three Apexs (two 2012 and one 2011) and two SR-Vipers. The Apexs started as they always do in extreme cold with some cranking but the rpm of the cranking was not diminished from the cold. The SR-Vipers tried to start but the cranking was so slow that they would not turn over. Hooked up cables to a truck, effectively removing the voltage drop and they fired off better than the Apexs. I have always thought that the battery located at the rear, as far away from the starter as was a ridiculous idea and a design issue that should not have been over-looked. I really wish someone would develop a battery relocation kit for the SR-Viper all models.
Makes perfect sense but you would think after making sleds for 50 years and a winter vehicle at that .that they would start.

I'm not sure if I total agree with the battery location being the issue. I installed a Nytro motor and electronics in the Viper chassis with the battery still in the same location and it doesn't seem to have any start issues. So far it has started as if it was still in the Nytro chassis. This has been discussed heavily in other threads so lets not go there again.

I'm not sure if I total agree with the battery location being the issue. I installed a Nytro motor and electronics in the Viper chassis with the battery still in the same location and it doesn't seem to have any start issues. So far it has started as if it was still in the Nytro chassis. This has been discussed heavily in other threads so lets not go there again.
Yup.

Back