• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold starting

Carla 123

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 viper xtx boosted
17 zr9000 precision stage 3
2 days in a row now -30c sled parked in garage and wont start without help.coughs farts and backfires and finally goes with the charger on it.not impressed.i dont have the new flash and wonder if that would help?

2 days in a row now -30c sled parked in garage and wont start without help.coughs farts and backfires and finally goes with the charger on it.not impressed.i dont have the new flash and wonder if that would help?
I have the new flash, and it was 2f and she started each time. My buddy has a 16 and same day his started but did backfire once on coldest morning

What was the temp in the garage? Mines going in Wednesday for the new flash. -27*f yesterday morning and its was right at 0*f in the garage. Both the Viper and the Phazer started on the first attempt. I put them on the trailer and drove 1.5 hours and the Viper took 2 attempts to start, with a lot of coughing and the Phazer turned slow and started first try after a long crank and catching on one cylinder. It was still -19*f when I unloaded them........... and my buddy did a lot of pulling to get his poo 800 running to unload.

Garage is not insulated and same temp as outside.damn vipers dont like the bitter cold

Just got back from embarrass mn today. 14 rtx running first reflash started on first try at -36f! I was surprised but my sled has always started pretty good.

Just got back from embarrass mn today. 14 rtx running first reflash started on first try at -36f! I was surprised but my sled has always started pretty good.
Same here with my 14 rtx. I run a new battery an non ethanol fuel.

Well -26 c here today and what I do is put my battery tender on at 2 amps half an hour before I want to start it and it fires almost immediately so I think this cold starting is for sure the battery not spinning it over fast enough and I dont have the latest flash.

Put a 50w titan pad heater On bottom of oil sump on engine, -26c outside plugged in for 3 hours coolant temp -15c and starts perfect. I know it’s not the best solution but when at the cabin I’m confident that the machine will start.

It was -35c the other day and waited till it was -22c and fired up my btx. It backfired several time and to turned over slow, I didn't think it was going to start but it did. It wasn't happy though, and I'm not to impressed either. Been dealing with cold no starting issue for the past few years with my old rx1 and was hoping a new viper would cure that. Can an inline coolant heater but put on the vipers also.

Yup seems like my sled don't like the bitter cold . Need to keep it in my insulated garage or face a no start. Digital display black will not cycle itself . So this has been going on for awhile it seems? Worried about going out overnights if I can't find a heated storage for the night.

I agree with Upton44. I have two Vipers and the other day at -36C one started while mine backfired and did not. I threw a tender on it and in an hour it fired up without much issue. I think that if the battery is not fully topped up then it does not spin the motor fast enough to ignite the less than vaporous fuel at really cold temps. I have never had one of mine not start if I put a tender on it if and when it does not fire up right away.

It was -35c the other day and waited till it was -22c and fired up my btx. It backfired several time and to turned over slow, I didn't think it was going to start but it did. It wasn't happy though, and I'm not to impressed either. Been dealing with cold no starting issue for the past few years with my old rx1 and was hoping a new viper would cure that. Can an inline coolant heater but put on the vipers also.
I have a inline heater in mine. I find mine worse to start when I use the inline heater. Put a 50watt heater pad on the sump at bottom of the engine, plug her in for 3-4 hours and starts perfect. 3 hours outside temperature -26c coolant temperature -14c

Back