• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

come on lets b honest

zippo do u mean shim my secondary farther out ?? am i wrong or should i not be shimming it out away from the chassis if the inside meaning the chassis side of the belt is coming apart ??mabey im #*$&@ backwards as of right now i have it offset from primary 13.4 mm and i have 2mm of float so it is 13.4 to 15.4 offset that is pretty much bang on with the specs from my manual i did have 3mm float but as someone stated that may be to much so i pulled a 1mm shimand i can honestly say i have broke the belts in and for the statemant that it is "100% operator induced, unless you have 10k, no excuses"give me a break are you tellin me one guy holds it to the handlebar different that the next ridiculous from the sounds of it lots of guys are holding it to the bar with no issues does any one have an idea of which way i should go???

yamahahaha said:
that is wierd, i ride my nytro pretty hard, and i get around 1000kms out of a belt, and i dont really break them in. im happy

You're happy with 600 miles out of a belt?

I've always broken my belts in, warm soapy bath then 30 miles somewhat easy on them. I'm not happy with anything less then 2000 miles out of a belt.

I got 4000 miles out of a belt on my 97 Vmax 700.

2600km on 08 Nytro. BOOM when heavy ditch pounding one day around zero. I was WOT(or close) for over 15km in some sweet ditches....

thefin said:
zippo do u mean shim my secondary farther out ?? am i wrong or should i not be shimming it out away from the chassis if the inside meaning the chassis side of the belt is coming apart ??mabey im #*$&@ backwards as of right now i have it offset from primary 13.4 mm and i have 2mm of float so it is 13.4 to 15.4 offset that is pretty much bang on with the specs from my manual i did have 3mm float but as someone stated that may be to much so i pulled a 1mm shimand i can honestly say i have broke the belts in and for the statemant that it is "100% operator induced, unless you have 10k, no excuses"give me a break are you tellin me one guy holds it to the handlebar different that the next ridiculous from the sounds of it lots of guys are holding it to the bar with no issues does any one have an idea of which way i should go???

Get a clutch alignment tool..that will fix your problems.

Do you guys not ever check your belts???? It's the easiest thing to check on the "transmission" of your sled. I'm on my third belt in about 1200 km but only because I dont like what I see by inspecting them...i.e. loose cords on sidewall and some cogs a little chewed!!! I also have had a few..OOPS the Parking brake is on!!! So 100% Operator induced you say??? You bet!!!

I would also check the surface of the clutches themselves. You may have a bit of flash (casting edge) that is scuffing the belt. I took my secondary apart and sanded down all the flash even if it didn't seem like it would contact the belt. I ussually get about 1300, 1600 miles out of a belt. These guys getting 4000 and 6000 I would say are the exception, or at least they may tune for the conditions.

thefin said:
one of the major reasons i sold my 08 xp 800r was because it was so hard on belts and all i heard was " you wont blow belts on a yammi" well i have 900 miles on my 09 rtx the first belt started coming apart at 200 miles and i cut the cords off that were hanging out twice and it gernaded at 500 miles now belt number two starts at 200 miles and i changed it today after cutting cords again a few times but didnt want it to blow put about 80 miles on belt number 3 and it aint lookin so good yes i checked allingnment and adjusted all checks i have stock everything but the track i put on about 150 miles ago id like to know how everyone is getting like 1500 miles on a belt my cords heep coming out on the inside or motor side of the belt wtf yes i do ride the crap out of this thing but the belt should last a little longer that that dont you think and yes i broke the belt in for about 20 miles each time

My dealer had an issue with a new xtx blowing belts, it turned out Yamaha shipped the sled with no bottom skid plate,and snow dust was getting in there making the belt slip.

Back