• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Comparing Yamaha to Skidoo - 2018ish Suspension

Lakehouse2021

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'95 Vmax 600
14 Skidoo Renegade X 1200
Hi Guys,

I got some good seat time on my 2006 Nytro this winter, just over 1K miles. My last ride was with a group of buddies who ride the newer skidoos. They have been pushing me to get a newer sled and tell me that Skidoo in 2016 to current, the suspension is the best.

My question is: Is a newer Yamaha 4s suspensions as good as the skidoos?

For clarity- we ride fast and on my 06 Nytro, and washboards or bigger bumps at speed, are kicking my butt, both front and rear suspension.

The newer Yamahas with the Cat Procross chassis are equally as good when setup properly as long as they have the good shock package. Base model shocks from any of the manufacturers usually leave a lot to be desired.

Listen to your friends. My crew has new Ski Doos too. Ive ridden the new sleds and agree they are the very best in class. We are now in a space where there are only two manufactures left worth owning. Sadly Yamaha is gone. Engines only. Arctic Cat has not put any money in R&D for more than ten years. The Pro-cross is old and outdated. On a good note Arctic Cat does provide bold new graphics each and every year that you can depend on. Polaris is still in the game too. I have no experience with them.
---Mac---

If you're comparing to an all-Japanese Yamaha of 2018 then the answer is that the Doo is definitely far better.
If you're comparing to a Viper or Winder then the answer is that the Yamaha is better in the front, and very close behind on the rear suspension.
Be careful if buying a used Doo that is a two-stroke, as the engines expire in that 5-8000 mile range.

Listen to your friends. My crew has new Ski Doos too. Ive ridden the new sleds and agree they are the very best in class. We are now in a space where there are only two manufactures left worth owning. Sadly Yamaha is gone. Engines only. Arctic Cat has not put any money in R&D for more than ten years. The Pro-cross is old and outdated. On a good note Arctic Cat does provide bold new graphics each and every year that you can depend on. Polaris is still in the game too. I have no experience with them.
---Mac---
The newer Yamahas with the Cat Procross chassis are equally as good when setup properly as long as they have the good shock package. Base model shocks from any of the manufacturers usually leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks guys, these are great responses for me. I've been leaning in the SD direction, but love the power I got out of this 4s this winter, it's a rocket with only a 121" track... :)

If you're comparing to an all-Japanese Yamaha of 2018 then the answer is that the Doo is definitely far better.
If you're comparing to a Viper or Winder then the answer is that the Yamaha is better in the front, and very close behind on the rear suspension.
Be careful if buying a used Doo that is a two-stroke, as the engines expire in that 5-8000 mile range.
Hi Nytro, your response is interesting. I have to admit I havent kept up with the newer manufacturing as Artic Cat is doing with them.

Didnt the sidewinder first come into production in 2017? Would a 17 or 18 sidewinder be comparable to a 17 or 18 skidoo?

At what speed? Gotta’ say a stock Nytro or Apex feels stronger, lights up quicker at typical trail speeds than a stock ‘Winder. However even a stage one tune on the ‘Winder changes this feeling of being a little soft down low a ton.

At what speed? Gotta’ say a stock Nytro or Apex feels stronger, lights up quicker at typical trail speeds than a stock ‘Winder. However even a stage one tune on the ‘Winder changes this feeling of being a little soft down low a ton.
I rode a Nytro from about 2010 through 2017. The last two years it had the 170HP MPI supercharger which put it on par or slightly ahead of good running Apex's.
My riding bud bought a Winder right when they came out. The first time I rode with him, I thought I'd like to drag race him. Before that happened he let me drive it. A couple squeezes of the throttle I knew there was no point in lining up against him.
No comparison in my opinion, and there shouldn't be as a stock Winder is over 200HP, while stock Nytro's are 135-138.
The Nytro's do have excellent throttle response, I won't argue that. But so does a stock Winder.

I rode a Nytro from about 2010 through 2017. The last two years it had the 170HP MPI supercharger which put it on par or slightly ahead of good running Apex's.
My riding bud bought a Winder right when they came out. The first time I rode with him, I thought I'd like to drag race him. Before that happened he let me drive it. A couple squeezes of the throttle I knew there was no point in lining up against him.
No comparison in my opinion, and there shouldn't be as a stock Winder is over 200HP, while stock Nytro's are 135-138.
The Nytro's do have excellent throttle response, I won't argue that. But so does a stock Winder.
I love the Nytro's throttle, it winds up really quick, what I dont like now is the 121 track, I feel like some of that power is being wasted on trackspin...

I'm really liking the idea of running a 1200 Renegade X. My buddy is telling me it's a great sled, anything newer than 2014 has really close suspension to the 2023's.... 4s is now on my list of mandatory requirements.

Does anyone think there is a yamaha that would compare to the above?

Any Sidewinder with decent shocks

The 1200 is a good sled, I've drove one, the only beef i had was the hesitation with throttle response.
If I remember right, 2017 had the nicer body style.
If you want to lay a beating on your buddies if they have 850's, get a Winder, especially one with a tune.

Back