• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Comparing Yamaha to Skidoo - 2018ish Suspension

The 1200 is a good sled, I've drove one, the only beef i had was the hesitation with throttle response.
If I remember right, 2017 had the nicer body style.
If you want to lay a beating on your buddies if they have 850's, get a Winder, especially one with a tune.
Thats the biggest point, to lay a beating on them!!! :)

Are all of the side winders turbos? Seeing some with a "tune" giving as much as 280hp. Wow!

Which of the model variants is the 137" with the best shock package?

Thats the biggest point, to lay a beating on them!!! :)

Are all of the side winders turbos? Seeing some with a "tune" giving as much as 280hp. Wow!

Which of the model variants is the 137" with the best shock package?
QS3-R's are the top followed by QS3's.
All Winders are turbos.
You can have 30-60 more HP with just software.

I came off years of Doo 1200's, both NA and turbos. The 1200 is Doos best sled ever. As a NA machine I had them beating up on modded Apex's & all the 800's, but that got a bit old for me and I wanted more power. 120 as a turbo sled and I could even beat the tuned winder. One ride however on a my buds Winder, I knew I had to have one, even though it wasn't as fast as my turbo 1200 the sled was much superior in ever other way. IMO the front end is far superior than Doos, and the rear is just as good like has been said as long as it has the good QS3r's on it. The Winder stays planted, is more comfortable and can be ridden way faster with much less effort. I have however rode poor riding and handling Winders and would never own one without the good shocks, they ride pretty poorly IMO, I'd go as far as to call them a dump truck. The Doos ride good when new, but then deteriorate quickly after a few years. The suspensions need bushings after the first season or two and even after re-freshing the shocks the ride is still never as good as it was brand new the first season.

A tuned Winder is a real trail weapon and nothing else ever built to date compares. I'd wouldn't go back to Doo till they build something that compares, and IMO you'll never see them get there in the next 10 years. The 900R turbo certainly isn't the answer. I just bought a second Winder as I'm not sure how long they will continue to produce them and Doo builds nothing to compare to it. I loved the 1200 Doos back in the day, but the Winder is on another level.

I’ll totally agree with your friends that a Gen4 skidoo is about as good as it gets for trail handling. On the other hand, I’m still riding a rather well developed Nytro that keeps up with my friend’s on their 850 renegades. On stock suspension I would NEVER come close the the skidoos on rough trails. After adding Skinz Concept front suspension and skidoo rMotion skid the Nytro is a completely new animal. It lost weight, improved handling, hooks up with better transfer, and hangs with new sleds in my group of really fast riders. I’ve spent a fair amount time and money improving the Nytro, but it was a bargain compared to buying a new sled.
IMG_1709.jpeg

I came off years of Doo 1200's, both NA and turbos. The 1200 is Doos best sled ever. As a NA machine I had them beating up on modded Apex's & all the 800's, but that got a bit old for me and I wanted more power. 120 as a turbo sled and I could even beat the tuned winder. One ride however on a my buds Winder, I knew I had to have one, even though it wasn't as fast as my turbo 1200 the sled was much superior in ever other way. IMO the front end is far superior than Doos, and the rear is just as good like has been said as long as it has the good QS3r's on it. The Winder stays planted, is more comfortable and can be ridden way faster with much less effort. I have however rode poor riding and handling Winders and would never own one without the good shocks, they ride pretty poorly IMO, I'd go as far as to call them a dump truck. The Doos ride good when new, but then deteriorate quickly after a few years. The suspensions need bushings after the first season or two and even after re-freshing the shocks the ride is still never as good as it was brand new the first season.

A tuned Winder is a real trail weapon and nothing else ever built to date compares. I'd wouldn't go back to Doo till they build something that compares, and IMO you'll never see them get there in the next 10 years. The 900R turbo certainly isn't the answer. I just bought a second Winder as I'm not sure how long they will continue to produce them and Doo builds nothing to compare to it. I loved the 1200 Doos back in the day, but the Winder is on another level.
Damn! what a great review, thank you Sir!!! I am looking for my next ride and its sounding like it will be a winder!!!

I’ll totally agree with your friends that a Gen4 skidoo is about as good as it gets for trail handling. On the other hand, I’m still riding a rather well developed Nytro that keeps up with my friend’s on their 850 renegades. On stock suspension I would NEVER come close the the skidoos on rough trails. After adding Skinz Concept front suspension and skidoo rMotion skid the Nytro is a completely new animal. It lost weight, improved handling, hooks up with better transfer, and hangs with new sleds in my group of really fast riders. I’ve spent a fair amount time and money improving the Nytro, but it was a bargain compared to buying a new sled. View attachment 172500
That pic is worth a 1000 words, I think I'm staying with Yam for a few more years! Just need to save up a few more bucks for the difference in used sled prices...

Last edited:

Back