• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Complete Newbie Perspective

Hay Tony, what riser did you use? i want to use one that keeps the chrome ring at the bottom. Also do you have any pics of how you rerouted the cables?

Great to hear your having fun and learning im in the same boat with mine.
Last ride my apex bucked me about ten feet into the pow was a fun time.

niko.

niko said:
Hay Tony, what riser did you use? i want to use one that keeps the chrome ring at the bottom. Also do you have any pics of how you rerouted the cables?

Great to hear your having fun and learning im in the same boat with mine.
Last ride my apex bucked me about ten feet into the pow was a fun time.

niko.

niko - I haven't installed any riser, yet. I think you want to ask adrenaline junkey this question. (see earlier post)

Re: I don't mean to jack your thread

GotJuice said:
I'm glad you made this thread...excellent tips and the more information those of us get that don't have a teacher the better! Don't you wish someone would come out with a damn "how to" video for sledding....then show illustration film on how to do certain things with balance and technique.......anyway thank you, excellent stuff!

There is "Thunderstruck 6" and "Boost Deuce" Get a turboed Apex piont it straight uphill and nail it! Just Kidding! Actually if you watch these guys especially on the Boost series you can pick up a lot of little things they do with their sleds....mostly though just go out and practice where you have lots of snow and lots of room.

Mt. Man, I see you also have a 07 mtn lite. Is the apex as easy to carve as the ML?? Does it feel as big and heavy as it looks??

Ride 7 (Or 8, I lost count)

I recently re-read the posts here, and having some more sled time under my belt, they really made more sense to me. There are some very good tips in this thread!

;)!

I have now put 230 miles on my new Apex MTN. During today's ride I got some pointers that helped me to "sway" or gently carve side to side while standing up with both feet up front. Had I not seen someone else doing it first, I would have never thought of trying it. There's a balance point in there that takes a little practice, and once you see that ski pull up in front - wow it feels great!

I also got to try a couple other brand MTN sleds. Honestly, they handled about the same to me as my Apex MTN. The same body english was required for turning, etc.

One final thought here regarding suspension. I have found that setting the rear front shock to one of the upper stiffest settings works best for me in the powder. I also have the pre-load set to hard. (I weigh 200 lbs.) My FOX fronts are the way I got them - 50-55 PSI, I think.

Really starting to feel at ease on the Apex MTN!!

:-o

today ride

Well i put in my muffinworks riser today and man what i difference!! it fells like a different sled. It rides like its 100 pounds lighter and tips over real easy in the powder.
One thing i didnt put my ice scratchers down and once i stopped after about 5 minutes riding the sled didnt move and the belt started smoking. I couldnt work it out why the sled wouldnt move?
Put on a new belt which again started smoking. What the hell??? well it was my hyfax they had melted on to the track and stopped the sled dead. After moving it a little i put on the old belt back on and it moved like it never happened. Man that was a learning experince!!
Started to ride on one ski today just balancing using the steering to counter it was a blast!!
Cant wait for the next ride!!

niko.

Re: Ride 7 (Or 8, I lost count)

TonyD said:
I recently re-read the posts here, and having some more sled time under my belt, they really made more sense to me. There are some very good tips in this thread!

;)!

I have now put 230 miles on my new Apex MTN. During today's ride I got some pointers that helped me to "sway" or gently carve side to side while standing up with both feet up front. Had I not seen someone else doing it first, I would have never thought of trying it. There's a balance point in there that takes a little practice, and once you see that ski pull up in front - wow it feels great!

I also got to try a couple other brand MTN sleds. Honestly, they handled about the same to me as my Apex MTN. The same body english was required for turning, etc.

One final thought here regarding suspension. I have found that setting the rear front shock to one of the upper stiffest settings works best for me in the powder. I also have the pre-load set to hard. (I weigh 200 lbs.) My FOX fronts are the way I got them - 50-55 PSI, I think.

Did the other sleds feel as big over all, I rode an 05' RMK 600 and it felt much smaller, also much cheaper like a wind up toy but still small and nimble...did you ride an M7 or M8 to compare it to?

Re: today ride

niko said:
Well i put in my muffinworks riser today and man what i difference!! it fells like a different sled. It rides like its 100 pounds lighter and tips over real easy in the powder.
One thing i didnt put my ice scratchers down and once i stopped after about 5 minutes riding the sled didnt move and the belt started smoking. I couldnt work it out why the sled wouldnt move?
Put on a new belt which again started smoking. What the hell??? well it was my hyfax they had melted on to the track and stopped the sled dead. After moving it a little i put on the old belt back on and it moved like it never happened. Man that was a learning experince!!
Started to ride on one ski today just balancing using the steering to counter it was a blast!!

niko.

Its amazing how much the taller bars help and one good rule is whenever your on the trail have the scratches down better be safe then sorry.
when ya learn to carve it opens up a whole new area of sledding and experience. make a rule to ride in a straight line as little as possible :jump:
What height of riser did ya use and if ya get a chance I would love to see pic as I almost went that route

TonyD said:

;)!

glad its really coming around for ya it only gets better from here ;)!

You cant go wrong with the apex but once you get bored with it turbo it and it will bring a hole new smile to your face
Ive logged over 8000 km on a apex and had lots of fun doing it 3000 stock 5000 boosted

GotJuice said:

Did the other sleds feel as big over all, I rode an 05' RMK 600 and it felt much smaller, also much cheaper like a wind up toy but still small and nimble...did you ride an M7 or M8 to compare it to?[/quote]

I rode an M8 and I can't remember the other one. I was most surprised about the fact that the overall machine weight did not make them easier to drive. They felt the same as my Apex with regards to turning and having to use body english for control. Makes me believe that a lot of the talk about extra 4 stroke weight is overblown.

Re: today ride

niko said:

niko.

Hey Niko - what size riser, and did it require new cables? I'm 6' 1", and so far the stock bar height seems to be good - at least to this newbie.

I've noticed that my hyfax are getting rather worn at only 230 miles. I have the marginal snow wheel kit that I need to install. I was waiting to see how it looked without it, but boy are they wearing down, and I have seriously been riding 90% powder.

Anyone have the marginal wheel kit installed out there? Do you still need scratchers?

Sounds like we had a similar day of getting to know skiing on one ski. I can't wait to get out and do it again either!!!

:jump:

summitking said:
You cant go wrong with the apex but once you get bored with it turbo it and it will bring a hole new smile to your face
Ive logged over 8000 km on a apex and had lots of fun doing it 3000 stock 5000 boosted

I hear ya, but I gotta say that this newbie still thinks you turbo guys that go straight up those verticals hanging on for dear life are CRAZY! (In a good way, of course.)

:die

Hi Tony, my riser is the 8" one with the apex pivot extra part at the bottom so its a total of ten. And you can use the chrome ring to!!
I'll get some pics soon. No need to change any cables but you need to reroute the throttle cable throught the riser so the tors dosnt go off. What i did was remove the throttle cable from the engine and reroute it from the top.

niko.

Back