• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Compression braking gotta Love it

yamadoo

Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper STX DX red/white- GPS and KING AIR suspension 4kmiles
13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK 3K miles
10 Vector LTX Blue 9kmiles
11 Venture GT 4k miles
86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
I was thinking of compression braking on another post and thought I hadn't read anything about this in a long time and wondered if other felt like I do. My thoughts:

Learn to love the compression braking from the start. ;)! Some complain they don't like it, but hey its there and if you learn to ease out of the throttle rather than just releasing it, you can very predictibly load the skiis for the turn with out touching the brakes. :ORC

So, I look at it I can either like it and view it as a positive ;)! or get bugged by it. :o|

I mean nobody gets mad at their muscle car with a manual transmission for compression braking, if you do it jerky your friends will tell you "learn to drive." :ORC

So love your 4 stroke, I do.

My two cents

Yamadoo

I agree! I love the compression braking and don't understand why everyone tries so hard to get rid of it. Keeping your dumb thumb on the throttle and you won't slow down so fast. You get used to it in about 3 minutes flat, and you can make the brakes last for 10's of thousands of miles.

i like it .its all what your use to.you just have to be carefull when your rat racing with guys that dont have it.

I am with you on the braking. When I bought my first 4-stroke I immediately fell in love with the braking because on my 2-stroke sleds I was always on the brakes at corners and then back on the throttle. I learned how to brake with the throttle and back on the gas as soon as I went around the corner.

From my standpoint that is one of the positives about having a 4-stroke sled not a negative. Sure it takes a few rides to get used to the difference but once you get comfortable with the manners it is all good.

My $.02

I really noticed it the first time I rode my Warrior........now i'm not even sure if my attak has it! Feels good to me! Jay

I agree. It felt wierd at first, but I've really come to like it.

I find I can drive the sled hard into the turn, dump the throttle which loads up the front end, and punch the flipper again out of the turn. The ultra-quickthrottle response makes this a lot of fun to do because you don't have the spool-up lag when you hit the gas again off lower RPMs like you do with the 2-strokes.

I agree, it was wierd the first time out. Took a few miles to get used to. But I quickly grew to love it.

If you have good throttle control, you can slow and turn transition without upsetting the drive train going into the brake and back on the throttle, especially considering the clutches on a snowmobile as opposed to a dry clutch.

Besides, with the torque from down low on a 4 stroke, you don't need to be slamming the throttle all the way down to rev into power.

:4STroke:

I love the "compression braking" feature on my RS Venture.

It has become a very effective tool once you learn how your sled operates with this feature.

My throttle response (addition or reduction) has become "smoother" and am able to anticipate sooner how much throttle is required as I approach and set up for a turn, or go down a hill for example.

I use less hand brake and at times can become quicker and more fluid than those I am riding with who are "pinning and spinning" in turns all day.

Riding comfort levels being equal, it's actually too easy at times to set a pace that is quicker than your riding partners.

Other advantanges:

Big savings on brakes:

In 21,000 plus miles, I still have brake pads left.

I know this style of riding is easier on other sled components as well.

Better fuel economy:

By being smooth rolling into the throttle instead of pinning the throttle greatly saves on fuel.

Fun Factor:

Some may ask; "Well what fun is that"????

Other members of our group have asked me how can I ride into a turn so smooth, and be out of the turn faster than the rest of us?

I'll come up with some "colorful" response, but the real answer is "compression braking".

Bottom Line:

Riding a 1000 lbs of candy apple red all day, it works for me!!!;)!

I love it too! The best part is when you are rat racing with a bunch of 2 smokers behind you. You enter a corner with no brakes on so the others behind you think that no brake is needed. Next thing you know, there in the pucker brush saying, What the *&$@.

Sawsalesman

I actually worry about that when I have lets say "less experienced" riders behind me. I know they think well he didn't brake and then WOW in to hot. :ORC

Glad to see many of the other 'regulars arond here think the same of the compression braking. :4STroke:

Yamadoo

I have always riden with a finger or two covering the brake. Comes from riding motorcycles. Helps to warn others behind you to pop the brake lever a couple times to warn those behind you. I lead 99% of the time, with my 70 yr. old partner or wife and kids behind me. And what Hondo wrote is exactly correct. Smooth in, smooth out, and your flying LOL. Have had a lot of guy's shake their head at how quickly a 47 yr. old fatman can ride LOL!!

Yamadoo,

You are absolutely correct. Having inexperienced riders behind you can not only cause them problems but they can also ram you from behind. Most of my riding partners no how I ride and they know that the Yamaha is different in the corners. During normal riding conditions I am like Viper_Dave, I tap the break just enough to turn the lights on so they understand that I actually am slowing down. My last post was more of a joke than anything.

I actually had my brake light switch go bsd from never using it. It corroded, and the brake light stayed on all the time.
If you can learn how to ease on and off th ethrottle, you can actually learn to control your sled much more predictably through corners.
I just picked up my new Nytro, and I can't wait to see what the compression braking reduction system is all about, and how to de-activate it!

OOP'S,

I forgot that part of the story.

Concur, coming into a corner or when the situation requires breaking by those that don't have compression breaking, just tap your brake light to give those that are riding behind a clue.

They always appreciate the courtesy! LOL... ;)!

Back