• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Condensation

porkchop

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro Nation
IMG_2944.JPG
Sold my clamshell & picked up a Rance do/do trailer in Nov, noticed it collects quite a bit of condensation on the roof, doesn't appear to be leaking in anywhere.
I replaced the crank up vent and checked the roof out before Winter.
Thought maybe it was just something with it being black and heating up then thawing out after we had snow, 45+ degree days.
Used it yesterday, was 8 in the morning and up to only 15 when we got back home & noticed drops had formed up same as before.
Wouldn't think the sleds generated that much heat in 5 minutes of loading + the cold hour ride home.
Love the trailer, don't like this issue.

Any ideas?

Mine does the same thing. Much better with the vent but still does it.

Left Cochrane a 2 weeks ago it was -15 C and came home (south) to +7C. The inside of the trailer was like a terrarium. Everything was dripping wet.

When the temps go up and down its hard to keep that from happening. I have a Triton TC167 and added vents on all 4 corners which helps cross flow ventilation. But when there is a hot sled inside dragging tons of snow and ice with it, there is going to be moisture.

If you store the sled in the trailer, I would leave it open every chance you can, so it can dry out. When I return from trips I will leave the ramp down all day.
MS

When I get home from trip. I throw trailer in shop to completely dry out. Then throw it outside.

Temps transitioning between freeze and thaw is most likely the worst. You'd rather it just stay frozen.

Thanks fellas, sounds like the nature of the beast I'll have to live with.
It does seem to be the transitioning temps, my neighbor made mention his Uncle's black hybrid seems to draw more sun easily and does the same. My clamshell was a weird pewter color, it didn't even freeze up.
Unfortunately the garage door isn't big enough to get it in & I live on a hill with a severe wind issue almost everyday, would probably just put more snow in it if there's anything on the ground.

Solutions;

More vents if in windy area.
Leave door or ramp cracked a few inches. I use this, line across door to handles or top of hinges.
Close when precipitation coming.
Snowmobile cover, tarp or large sheet to cover sled . I use sheet.
1/4 " plywood screwed to roof trusses is the permanent fix.

Some say spray foam roof but i'd be afraid it wouldn't last myself.

insulating the trailer should help your issue

in the off season i run a dehumidifier in mine. usually takes a month to dry it out in there and that is when i load the sleds off of the spring grass with no snow.

insulating the trailer should help your issue
Thought about that but I've all ready put 4 new backer plates / brakes, tires + a spare, roof vent & more ski guides into it and only used twice + by the time I buy materials, finish it all off then use maybe 2x more in the Summer camping with our bikes- not really worth it.
I'll buy the other cover vent over the crank up one and leave it open for Summer months, maybe a bit in Winter if i can find a thin screen- frog skin sled vent material is good.

Back