• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CONFUSED

yox185 said:
BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
I don't know why so many sleds now come with only 2 Idler wheels on the back axle.

Me neither, what's the advantage?
Cheaper because there's one less wheel and also lighter. Every little thing adds up in both cost and weight.

That's exactly what I said to the Yamaha rep at the Mpls show when he said Yamaha was in their plant changing alot of mfg'ing techniques. I said......"does that mean Cat's quality is going to go up???"..........YEP!!

But again, Yamaha's clutches and belts are big time proven. Cat's are not so. But in general the Cat with this motor should be more reliable. Especially vs. any of their 2 strokes. Take for instance that new 2 stroke Cat 600 built here. I'd be more afraid to buy that than a Viper.

Bullet69 said:
That's where we're the same, but on different brands. Don't get me wrong. I loved my RX-1 & my Vector, but I, myself never blew a belt on my Arctic Cats. My Vector I did, as well as had those bearings freeze up on the idler wheels which I had to replace. From "My" experience, I wouldn't have any harder of a time spending money on an AC as & would on a Yamaha except that I would have to buy a new jacket! lol

You really need to do some research before you post. The procross I'd a pike of garbage. I owned one. I blew 10 belts in 1500 miles. My chain case blew apart in the first 150 miles. I had to replace every wheel in my skid every 500 miles. My rails were destroyed at the 150" mile mark. I had to add a 600.00 surge tank because cats gas tank pickup design sucks and had for years. My primary clutch locked up at the 500 miles mark. All my plastic had to be replaced day one because cat painted black Panals white instead of making white panals. Secondary rollers broke 250 miles in.

I road yamaha's from 97 to 2011. The only belt I blew was a dayco on my 2000 srx. Never blew a 8dn ever. Never lost one trail mile on a Yamaha. The cat broke every trip.

BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
Twice this year while snowmobiling with 2 different AC sno pro sleds, they failed to make it back due to the rear idler wheel bearings breaking down One was a 2012 F1100 Turbo sno pro, earlier this month, and the other was just yesterday, a 2012 F800 son pro with the same problem. I don't know why so many sleds now come with only 2 Idler wheels on the back axle. Puts more pressure on each bearing, and if 1 wheel goes you are not riding it back. At least with 3 or 4 wheels back there you can make it back if 1 of them goes. Just something else to be concerned about on the new Yamacat Viper.

guys want to believe so much they are convincing themselves ...the fact is...if anyone complains on yamaha (Ive been guilty) and then experience the procross and the cheapness of fit and finish...the rubbing of parts that werent intended to ....the poor quality decals that would just peel off...the chinese drivetrain parts (which you will get on your viper snowcheckers) the crap designed tri hub rear axle wheel combo....theres enough bad to cloud the very good chassis dynamics...the sled will for sure be down on power from a nytro....but for those looking for 600 class power..logging limited easy miles...you will like the chassis ride and handling...it will not be yamaha quality..period...Im waiting for 2015...I think this will be the year to be excited over

jtssrx said:
Bullet69 said:
That's where we're the same, but on different brands. Don't get me wrong. I loved my RX-1 & my Vector, but I, myself never blew a belt on my Arctic Cats. My Vector I did, as well as had those bearings freeze up on the idler wheels which I had to replace. From "My" experience, I wouldn't have any harder of a time spending money on an AC as & would on a Yamaha except that I would have to buy a new jacket! lol

You really need to do some research before you post. The procross I'd a pike of garbage. I owned one. I blew 10 belts in 1500 miles. My chain case blew apart in the first 150 miles. I had to replace every wheel in my skid every 500 miles. My rails were destroyed at the 150" mile mark. I had to add a 600.00 surge tank because cats gas tank pickup design sucks and had for years. My primary clutch locked up at the 500 miles mark. All my plastic had to be replaced day one because cat painted black Panals white instead of making white panals. Secondary rollers broke 250 miles in.

I road yamaha's from 97 to 2011. The only belt I blew was a dayco on my 2000 srx. Never blew a 8dn ever. Never lost one trail mile on a Yamaha. The cat broke every trip.

Maybe you should do the research before you post! Read the post 1st. That's MY Experience, no one else's. I have rode AC since 1988-2005, when I switched to Yamaha at that time only because I liked the looks of the Vector/RX-1. I can't help it that all of my AC machines were great for me & your 1 wasn't, but by the looks of what you wrote, I can only come up with 2 thoughts... Either 1) you had a lemon & should have brought it back to the dealer. A $200.00 belt every 150 miles would get expensive especially since you did that 10 time which I find hard to believe, but I wasn't with you :drink: , or 2) You just pounded the snot out of that thing which I think that any brand would have a hard time holding up to your standards. Rails at 150 miles? I've never seen that in my 37 years of riding snowmobiles on any brand The good thing for you is that there are plenty of other 2014 Yamaha models for you to choose from.

Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:
Bullet69 said:

Maybe you should do the research before you post! Read the post 1st. That's MY Experience, no one else's. I have rode AC since 1988-2005, when I switched to Yamaha at that time only because I liked the looks of the Vector/RX-1. I can't help it that all of my AC machines were great for me & your 1 wasn't, but by the looks of what you wrote, I can only come up with 2 thoughts... Either 1) you had a lemon & should have brought it back to the dealer. A $200.00 belt every 150 miles would get expensive especially since you did that 10 time which I find hard to believe, but I wasn't with you :drink: , or 2) You just pounded the snot out of that thing which I think that any brand would have a hard time holding up to your standards. Rails at 150 miles? I've never seen that in my 37 years of riding snowmobiles on any brand The good thing for you is that there are plenty of other 2014 Yamaha models for you to choose from.

Rails went bad in 1500 miles because ac doesn't use bushings where the front arm mounts. The steel bolt egged out the aluminum rail. This is a known ac issue. Just like belt blowing is a known issue.

Fwiw his wasn't the worst theres guys on hcs with brand new 13's who blew belts in like 40 miles! Theres a tremendous amount of inconsistency in this chassis....this isn't one guy here or there either.....id say 50% had big problems within 500 miles even the most seasoned racers and tuners had belt blowing and drive line failures

Bullett, your last experiance with Cat was in 05. I think their problems really started when they redesigned the Pro-cross for 2011 and it lost all that weight. Obviously it hurt them in the durability dept. I'm guessing that is a prime example why Yamaha has refused to put the Apex on a big weight loss program.

I know a guy that had a front heat exchanger bust in 13 miles. Many many guys have that problem.

Ya I forgot to list how every bolt in my chassis needed to be tightened up. I had to bull the bolts out of the spars put lock tight on each one and retighten them. I found this issue out when my buddy discovered his were so loose all the spars were destroyed. Ya no lock tight from the factory. My buddys skid had the same egged out rails as mine. I have another buddy who blows belts every 300 miles. Lets not forget the buckled tunnel issue.

Guys that don't one of these or know people who own them should keep their uneducated opinions to themselves

jtssrx said:
Guys that don't one of these or know people who own them should keep their uneducated opinions to themselves

I do know people that do own them & like them. I personally know one of AC's test riders also, so I guess that counts going by your quote listed above. I guess that it goes to show that even though there are problems which EVERY make has, not everyone has had the same problems as yourself. If you read your quote above though, your word UNEDUCATED was properly used.

Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:

I do know people that do own them & like them. I personally know one of AC's test riders also, so I guess that counts going by your quote listed above. I guess that it goes to show that even though there are problems which EVERY make has, not everyone has had the same problems as yourself. If you read your quote above though, your word UNEDUCATED was properly used.

I know a test rider from cat lmao!!!

jtssrx said:
Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:

If you were a religious man, I would swear on the Bible. He goes out west every year test riding the new AC's. He is in some of AC's pictures that they put out, & used to race for them. I could list a whole bunch of things, but since you live in Mi, you wouldn't know him anyways.

Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:
Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:

If you were a religious man, I would swear on the Bible. He goes out west every year test riding the new AC's. He is in some of AC's pictures that they put out, & used to race for them. I could list a whole bunch of things, but since you live in Mi, you wouldn't know him anyways.

No I was laughing at the fact that you are so desperate to prove what you know that your willing to use the " I know a cat test rider line" I don't care that you do because the truth is real world owners are having at least two or three of these issues. If you want to deny it thats cool I know the truth

jtssrx said:
Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:
Bullet69 said:
jtssrx said:

No I was laughing at the fact that you are so desperate to prove what you know that your willing to use the " I know a cat test rider line" I don't care that you do because the truth is real world owners are having at least two or three of these issues. If you want to deny it thats cool I know the truth

I'm not trying to prove anything. All I did is write about my experience with AC. You attacked me with your 1st post. All you have to do is go back to the start & read rather than keep coming at me looking like an idiot. I said that it was MY EXPERIENCE! no one else's. Just incase you don't understand, that means me by myself & nobody else, then you write your illiterate quote "Guys that don't one of these or know people that own them should keep their uneducated opinions to themselves" I answered you back that I do, which you laughed. Now... instead tearing my post apart, which to reiterate is "MY EXPERIENCE ONLY", go to TRF with all your expertise, get together with Arctic Cat & Yamaha, & the 3 of you can make all of us a sled that will be the best one ever. I'd guess that they would make you CEO after you get the #1 market share since they can't seem to do it without you ;)!

Back