• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Considering 2022 Viper - Couple of Questions :)

Derek Fosbury

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder S-TX GT
2023 AC T-Cat EPS w/ATAC
Hello all - considering a 2022 Viper, and wondering if the two main issues I see on the forum (ECU issues and clutch rattle) have been solved in recent model years (like say in the past 2-3 years)?

I currently have a pair of 2021 RS Venture TF's - love the engine, but not in love with the slight tippy-ness (my wife has put it on it's side a couple of times, now is a bit nervous about riding it), and the track howl/drone is a killer if I happen to run out of charge on my noise cancelling ear-buds :).

Looking to trade up, but wanted to find out about the above issues first!

thanks!

Derek

Clutch rattle is standard equipment on all the 3 holers including the Sidewinder. There's some aftermarket solutions out there if you want to spend more to quiet it down but most learn to live with it. It's only an issue at idle. Just make sure you're the last person to start your sled!
I assume the ECU issues were quietly resolved somewhere between the 18-19 model years after multiple flashes but Yamaha has never come clean on this and admitted what the problem was and how they addressed it. I think there were additional issues created by the backfiring like destroyed starters and crank position sensors knocked out of sync that made things even worse. I think this is all it took to destroy most interest in the Viper, especially when SW came out in '17. The later models don't get much press in the Viper forum here but recent posts are not filled with the angst of the past. I think they're probably safe now...

Clutch rattle is standard equipment on all the 3 holers including the Sidewinder. There's some aftermarket solutions out there if you want to spend more to quiet it down but most learn to live with it. It's only an issue at idle. Just make sure you're the last person to start your sled!
I assume the ECU issues were quietly resolved somewhere between the 18-19 model years after multiple flashes but Yamaha has never come clean on this and admitted what the problem was and how they addressed it. I think there were additional issues created by the backfiring like destroyed starters and crank position sensors knocked out of sync that made things even worse. I think this is all it took to destroy most interest in the Viper, especially when SW came out in '17. The later models don't get much press in the Viper forum here but recent posts are not filled with the angst of the past. I think they're probably safe now...

Nice, good to hear! Really appreciate the response :).

I have a 2016 XTX "LE" and I guess I'm lucky.. The clutch is dead quiet. 5000kms on it now

Brother in law picked up a 2016 XTX "SE" a couple months ago with 1900kms and his primary is really rattly.... Weird. Wonder why some are loud and some aren't.

Even more weird and ironic overall is he also has a 12 f1100 turbo.... Clutch is dead quiet..... I bought a 2012 xf1100 turbo last week and the clutches rattle and clunk when engaging. The whole scenario is like bizarro world.

You can get the Cat version, their clutches don't rattle and have a lower engagement.

I have a 2016 XTX "LE" and I guess I'm lucky.. The clutch is dead quiet. 5000kms on it now

Brother in law picked up a 2016 XTX "SE" a couple months ago with 1900kms and his primary is really rattly.... Weird. Wonder why some are loud and some aren't.

Even more weird and ironic overall is he also has a 12 f1100 turbo.... Clutch is dead quiet..... I bought a 2012 xf1100 turbo last week and the clutches rattle and clunk when engaging. The whole scenario is like bizarro world.
Thunder Products has said many of the primaries have the o ring pad on wrong side of tower from factory. That would definitely contribute to noise and longevity. I was one who was unlucky enough to have one like that and completely destroyed it.

Well Derek, did you decide to take the leap yet?
Just wanted to add some additional thoughts on the matter. (Viper envy therapy.)
It's really interesting that Yamaha didn't offer EPS on the Viper this year. (Take you're anti-conspiracy medication now.)
Yes, in 2011 they did the Apex and waited until 2012 to do the Vector so there is a clear precedent established.
It was also a valid market reaction test on how eps would be accepted or not on a snowmobile.
But, back then, pre going to bed with Cat, they were still trying hard to sell Vectors in 2012. (Not sure how long they were dating before petroleum fluids were exchanged.)
With the termination of the Cat 7000 series in 2020, the writing seems to be on the wall for the 1049 engine.
The 1049 engine does have it's fans though counting myself as one.
Is it possible they had to cut Cat off so they had enough to carry on with the Viper without making any more?
I'm just wondering if the current Viper is just a scaffolding to empty the 1049 parts bin and soon to be terminated.
I just hate to buy anything I feel the mfr doesn't have their heart in it and the Viper seems to be a neglected stepchild at this point.
Will they add eps to the Viper next year?
Let's say they do - will be the lamest "exciting" update ever and your '22 will not be as marketable down the road.
Let's say they don't - then they really want everyone on high profit margin Winders - just kill the Viper then.

If you're the kind person that knows what they want and can be happy with it for many years without comparing what everyone else has AND if you're not already thinking about upgrading in a couple years - probably a good decision to take the leap.
If you need to have the latest & greatest, STOP! You're looking at a 12 year old motor in a 10 yr old chassis. Try to find a used 18 & up instead. (Not an easy task.)

Well Derek, did you decide to take the leap yet?
Just wanted to add some additional thoughts on the matter. (Viper envy therapy.)
It's really interesting that Yamaha didn't offer EPS on the Viper this year. (Take you're anti-conspiracy medication now.)
Yes, in 2011 they did the Apex and waited until 2012 to do the Vector so there is a clear precedent established.
It was also a valid market reaction test on how eps would be accepted or not on a snowmobile.
But, back then, pre going to bed with Cat, they were still trying hard to sell Vectors in 2012. (Not sure how long they were dating before petroleum fluids were exchanged.)
With the termination of the Cat 7000 series in 2020, the writing seems to be on the wall for the 1049 engine.
The 1049 engine does have it's fans though counting myself as one.
Is it possible they had to cut Cat off so they had enough to carry on with the Viper without making any more?
I'm just wondering if the current Viper is just a scaffolding to empty the 1049 parts bin and soon to be terminated.
I just hate to buy anything I feel the mfr doesn't have their heart in it and the Viper seems to be a neglected stepchild at this point.
Will they add eps to the Viper next year?
Let's say they do - will be the lamest "exciting" update ever and your '22 will not be as marketable down the road.
Let's say they don't - then they really want everyone on high profit margin Winders - just kill the Viper then.

If you're the kind person that knows what they want and can be happy with it for many years without comparing what everyone else has AND if you're not already thinking about upgrading in a couple years - probably a good decision to take the leap.
If you need to have the latest & greatest, STOP! You're looking at a 12 year old motor in a 10 yr old chassis. Try to find a used 18 & up instead. (Not an easy task.)

I currently have 2 RS Ventures - I love the engine, hate the track howl. So the Viper was going to be for my wife, but then I realized Yamaha didn't add EPS to it, so that broke the deal, as she needs EPS due to arthritis in her hands.

So I went for an S-TX GT for me and an L-TX GT for her :)

Congrats! The summer is going to be tediously long waiting for those beauties!

Congrats! The summer is going to be tediously long waiting for those beauties!
Definitely!

The hardest part is right now. Lake will be frozen for another few weeks, so no boat, and the trails are closed to ATVs until May 1st, so nothing to do!!

i was thinking about a newer one than my 2016 which has a 2018 ? flash in it and horrible hard start issues with back firing etc. Does anybody even know if this was different on say the 2020 red LTX models ? Seems the dealer salesman's really have no clue about any of this stuff.

My 2020 ltx se has no issues starting at all. I do however keep the battery tender plugged in when not riding. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Back