• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Converting from 2017 SR Viper L-TX DX winshield to 2017 S-TX DX windshield

Snowfreak47

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS Vector LE
I am a big fan of staying warm while riding especially when its in the wilds of northern Quebec. For me that comes in the form of a nice large windshield. I noticed the S-TX DX had the exact windshield I wanted for my sled but wasn't real sure if it could be installed with minimal modifications. After looking at the parts breakdown for both sleds it seemed very possible and I ordered all the parts. First off other than ordering the parts which I will list there is no mods what so ever needed to install this windshield. What I don't know is if the windshield will also fit prior model year Vipers. Ok so here are all the part #'s

Windshield 8LJ-K7210-00-00 parts breakdown will list this as Windshield comp (comp is short for component not complete) you will receive only the windshield no other parts

Rubber windshield fasteners 8LJ-K7223-00-00 you will need 2 of these I ordered these but they were identical to some old Polaris and Ski-D00 ones I had laying around.

Right hand windshield bracket 8LJ-K7222-00-00
Left hand windshield bracket 8LJ-K7222-10-00

Bracket Bolt 8LJ-RA239-00-00
Bracket flange nut 8JP-RA363-00-00 You will need 2 bolts and nuts, one for each bracket

I also ordered some plastic insert nuts just to be safe, it doesn't take much to strip them out. You don't need these but I like to be prepared.
Plastic Insert nut 8JP-RA373-00-00 If you want to replace them all you will need 6

The total was right around 175 before ordering the factory Yamaha windshield mount mirrors. The windshield has the holes predrilled and mirror mount is straight forward. I will post some pics of the installed windshield along with some of the attachment points. The parts break down is listed in two different spots if you wanted to see the illustration. The first section is the windshield and the other is under the title instrument panel.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2836.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

I have the STD DX 146 and it has this windshield. Very warm even on the coldest days.

I have a new leftover STX-146DX and that windshield is pretty big. Hoping to get out there and try this sled out. I was thinking it may be too big for me being I’ve always ridden a sled that I could see over the windshield not through it.
Also bought a left over 141 XTX and that has the really low almost non existent wind screen for the wife and think it’ll have to get upgraded to at least a medium size screen if not the FULL as mentioned above. Has anyone used a medium size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the blue and white medium windshield. It offers fair to good wind protection. I am sticking with it. Best of luck..

As a side note if your looking at the hardware on my mirror install I changed that out a bit. I didn't want the head of the bolt directly against the plastic. So I had some #10 3/4" stainless steel screws laying around and I removed the washer off a roofing screw because it has a rubber backing. The rubber backed washer is now against my plastic windshield. The washers have a natural concave design, a simple whack from a hammer on a flat surface straightened them out :)

Attachments

• IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2835.JPG
    IMG_2835.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 431
I have the blue and white medium windshield. It offers fair to good wind protection. I am sticking with it. Best of luck..

I’d like to see a pic of that if you can post here please. And your height. Trying to get an idea for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the STX windshield on my 14 XTX no issue bolts right on. And yes nice and toasty behind that big bad boy.

Anyone know if the STX windshield is different than the Yamaha SRViper accessory called the "tall windshield", part number SMA-8JP96-30--00? I assume it's different because the part numbers are different. I too like the looks of the STX windshield and want to get one. If it's the same as the Tall Windshield, I can just order that, but I fear I may need to order the STX windshield by part number to get what I want. I also don't need the pre-drilled mirror holes in the STX part because I have mirrors to mount on the body instead (thanks to Candadianhunter in this thread: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/mirrors-on-viper.128675/ )

Anyone know if the STX windshield is different than the Yamaha SRViper accessory called the "tall windshield", part number SMA-8JP96-30--00? I assume it's different because the part numbers are different. I too like the looks of the STX windshield and want to get one. If it's the same as the Tall Windshield, I can just order that, but I fear I may need to order the STX windshield by part number to get what I want. I also don't need the pre-drilled mirror holes in the STX part because I have mirrors to mount on the body instead (thanks to Candadianhunter in this thread: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/mirrors-on-viper.128675/ )
I found my answers, and posted results of my investigation in another thread: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/looking-to-replicate-2016-srviper-s-tx-146-dx-windshield.154045/

Back