• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant Change

Tom Imlach

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Apex LTX GT
09 Apex with 7k miles.Second owner.
Just wondering how hard it would be to do a total coolant swap.Not sure if it's been done before-so with the age of the sled I'm thinking it might need doing?All input appreciated.

09 Apex with 7k miles.Second owner.
Just wondering how hard it would be to do a total coolant swap.Not sure if it's been done before-so with the age of the sled I'm thinking it might need doing?All input appreciated.

It can be done but why?

Of it looks good, it's good .I got a 2001 sxr ,06 Apex and a 10 Vector with original fluid in them.
If you change it you may be chasing air locks.

Last edited:
i usually refresh the coolant every 5-6 season to help prevent problems in the cooling system. i just dump out what i can get out by pulling the hose off of the bottom of the thermostat housing and then refilling the system with burping at rear crossover tube.

So this is a valid question. Antifreeze is nothing but a liquid plastic. How do I know this I had a salesman come into my Auto Repair shop I had many years ago trying to sell me an antifreeze recycler. Back then all antifreeze was green. Antifreeze does not wear out but it accumulates sediment and its acidity increases. That can wear on water pump impellers and so on. So all that was needed back then was to filter and adjust the PH balance. And add some green dye. His device was nothing but an oil drain on wheels with a pump and a hose to refill after filtering and neutralizing the acid and then add some green dye. In other words Antifreeze never wears out but could use some maintenance. If you go to an automotive repair facility most of them have test strips they dip into your coolant to sell you this service. As far as burping I have not had my hands into my four strokes enough yet to look for a bleeder. But back in the day most Jap Cars had a bleeder valve. On my old Cat 2Strokes I jacked up the front end of the sled and waited for the bubbles to come out of the plastic coolant tank. Hope this helps this is my Cliff Claven moment! Cheers!

I changed the coolant in my nytro second year I had it. 2 years ago I had to change the rad because the coolant had crystalized. My 08 Vector has original coolant and it's fine, if it's not broken don't fix it!

This antifreeze that is used in aluminum engines today also acts as lubricant, your water pump creates friction and through time your antifreeze loses its ability to lubricate just like oil, when this happens your head gaskets can get eaten out along with other parts, now some owners have had zero problems with antifreeze but others not so lucky, if you are a high miler changing your antifreeze every 5-6 years in these high rev engines should be regular maintenance to be safe.

This antifreeze that is used in aluminum engines today also acts as lubricant, your water pump creates friction and through time your antifreeze loses its ability to lubricate just like oil, when this happens your head gaskets can get eaten out along with other parts, now some owners have had zero problems with antifreeze but others not so lucky, if you are a high miler changing your antifreeze every 5-6 years in these high rev engines should be regular maintenance to be safe.

So I admit I gave a long winded answer. My opinion get a test strip from an auto shop and if your PH level is high you should change. We all know acid is not good for anything. Think of swimming pool testing. Like I stated antifreeze never wears out. It is liquid plastic. That's why it does not freeze. Unless of course it is pure. Also it does not cool as well unless mixed with water. Distilled water has less minerals. Or sediments. If you have dissimilar metals like steel blocks and aluminum heads. This is even more important. Steel blocks and Aluminum heads expand at different rates. So when starting at zero degrees and going to 180 degrees within minutes. Puts a lot of stress on head gaskets. I will admit I have not had my hands on my sleds as much as I should. I bought these as my first ever new sleds. I was tired of working on my 2 Strokes. So changing oil and turn the key was the appeal to me. Thanks for all the help on here. Just want to be of some help.

If you change fluid... My 07 apex had the bleed port on the original rear crossover tube, It is a great way to bleed out air upon refilling as well as draining the old fluid. The best way to refill is to drain at what ever point you choose but upon refill jack the front of the sled up about 18" and let sit for a while with filler cap off then fill VERY SLOWLY this lets the air work its way out as you fill. Continue letting the sled sit in this position for a bit then lower and start up. Very little if any "burping" takes place. Done this many times.

Back