• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant dropping.

thelake

Extreme
Hey. I've got a 2009 venture gt. There is a little coolant that drips from underneath the skid plate. It dripped with the melting ice and snow after a good run. I'm told it might be a hose or clamp on hose issue. I know is Jack sh&+ about what's underneath my hood and need to figure out how to find out if that's that actual issue. I do not see coolant coming from my radiator. I was a little bit low on coolant but not too bad. I've never overheated.

Last edited:

Hey. I've got a 2009 venture gt. There is a little coolant that drips from underneath the skid plate. It drips with the melting ice and snow after a good run. I'm told it might be a hose or clamp on hose issue. I know is Jack sh&+ about what's underneath my hood and need to figure out how to find out if that's that actual issue. I do not see coolant coming from my radiator. I was a little bit low on coolant but not too bad. I've never overheated.

Metal shrinks faster than rubber in the cold. Could just be a loose clamp. I used to see this a lot when I fixed cars and trucks for a living. Hope that helps.

1st clamps to check is under the hood. They are very obvious as coolant hoses (textured rubber) vs the smooth oil hoses. And the oil ones are gray, water ones are black.

Next would the one that connects the front heat exchanger to the engine. Especially since that's where you say you see the water at.

Jack the front of the sled up, secure blocks or jackstands under the bottom shock mounts, crawl under with some Allen wrenches & a good flashlight. Pull the cover off the bellypan that accesses the oil filter.

Inspect closely looking for a leak at the hose connection I described connecting the heat exchanger to the engine.

If nothing there, it's possible the overflow tank is too full and just plain can't take anymore as it expands hot. Have you added any to the tank? The one with the radiator cap needs to be full, but the overflow tank needs only a couple ounces or else it'll just puke it out when hot as I stated before.

This an excellent response. I'll start messing around and refer to this rwspresp often. I've only added to the resevoir, will see if I can find the overflow tank!

This an excellent response. I'll start messing around and refer to this rwspresp often. I've only added to the resevoir, will see if I can find the overflow tank!

Overflow tank is to the left of the reservoir as you're sitting on the seat, towards the steering stem.

1st clamps to check is under the hood. They are very obvious as coolant hoses (textured rubber) vs the smooth oil hoses. And the oil ones are gray, water ones are black.

Next would the one that connects the front heat exchanger to the engine. Especially since that's where you say you see the water at.

Jack the front of the sled up, secure blocks or jackstands under the bottom shock mounts, crawl under with some Allen wrenches & a good flashlight. Pull the cover off the bellypan that accesses the oil filter.

Inspect closely looking for a leak at the hose connection I described connecting the heat exchanger to the engine.

If nothing there, it's possible the overflow tank is too full and just plain can't take anymore as it expands hot. Have you added any to the tank? The one with the radiator cap needs to be full, but the overflow tank needs only a couple ounces or else it'll just puke it out when hot as I stated before.

Good info! I did not know about the different colors. Or that I needed an Allen wrench to tighten a hose clamp on these. You will need an metric Allen wrench as these were built in Japan. Since I have not tried to reach any hose clamps in mine yet. You might want to consider ball type Allen wrenches or sockets as they are more flexible. You can reach from more difficult angles with these.

Last edited:
The Allens are needed for removal of the access panel on the bellypan, not the clamps.

Clamps are a flat blade screwdriver or a small socket. 6mm or 1/4" maybe??

Seems like this has remedied itself. No issues last 2 rides at all. I hear the rx-1 would leave little drops from time to time. I've never overheated.

Back