• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cracked Chassis

Mills

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'14 Viper RTX, '06 Apex, '99 SX 600, '74 TL433F, '79 Trail Fire
I have a 2014 Viper RTX with 8,000 miles on it. As I was going through it to get it ready for its summer nap I noticed that both chassis rails that create the motor cradle and hold the heat exchanger in place are cracked on their bottom surface from side to side. These rails extend somewhat past the drive shaft which is where they are cracked. The Clutch side rails is cracked just behind the brake rotor and the chain case side rail is cracked just behind the plastic chain case "protector".
Anyone ever have this issue and if so, how did you repair the crack(s)?

1649354018854.png
1649354113278.png

mine look the same and have since I bought it with only 700 miles. I am now at 6500 miles and they have not changed. Since they were like that from new to me I thought it was part of the design.

I dont believe those are factory. I have a good friend that is a welder/fabricator. He looked the cracks over and said it would not be much of an issue to weld them up and create a support gusset to wrap around the rails and weld in place to strengthen that area. Only problem with putting a support gusset around that area would be transferring the stresses to other areas that then might be overloaded and crack as well. Only time will tell I guess because I am going to have him put the gussets in.

Thats not a crack. They are made like that from the factory. My sidewinder has been like that since new.

Yes there is a slight bend in the Chassis there thats why its cut there. Just looks bad. You could really use a skid plate.
All the damage you see happened on one ride when we got way out on a trail and found out that the tree huggers had shut down the trail we use to go into town and get gas. We had to improvise to get to a gas station and ride an area that did not have much snow and had not been packed or groomed. If you head north out of Ashland Wi and want to stop in at Bayfield Wi to get gas, dont bother, the tree huggers got the trail shut down and it is now illegal to ride in the city limits of Bayfield. They actually have a sign out on the corridor trail where the feeder trail from Bayfield used to intersect with it that says the trail is closed and snowmobilers are not welcome in Bayfield.

All the damage you see happened on one ride when we got way out on a trail and found out that the tree huggers had shut down the trail we use to go into town and get gas. We had to improvise to get to a gas station and ride an area that did not have much snow and had not been packed or groomed. If you head north out of Ashland Wi and want to stop in at Bayfield Wi to get gas, dont bother, the tree huggers got the trail shut down and it is now illegal to ride in the city limits of Bayfield. They actually have a sign out on the corridor trail where the feeder trail from Bayfield used to intersect with it that says the trail is closed and snowmobilers are not welcome in Bayfield.
That sucks! I really enjoyed the trails we rode this year from Cable to Ashland. Ashland itself is so Snowmobile friendly and easy to get around in. I really wanted to keep going North but a slight mishap put the Kabash to that. Was telling my buddies I would like to stay in Ashland. Maybe still will next year but avoid North. Has to be really scenic there though. Bummer

Back