• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crank but no start

More than likely, that's probably the case as my stator appeared to be fine but the the pickup coil was bad. I was going to just replace the pickup coil but with an aftermarket pickup coil, you have to ensure the stator/sensor (pickup coil) gap is correct which some had to oblong the bolt holes on the RM Stator sensor to get correct gap. I'm not sure what brand Travis offers or if this would need to be done with his pickup coil but may be something you will have to account for. Although I did opt to replace the stator/sensor with OEM parts and have not had a problem with it, I did the opposite when replacing the starter and went with the aftermarket one Travis offers and have not had a problem with it either.

More than likely, that's probably the case as my stator appeared to be fine but the the pickup coil was bad. I was going to just replace the pickup coil but with an aftermarket pickup coil, you have to ensure the stator/sensor (pickup coil) gap is correct which some had to oblong the bolt holes on the RM Stator sensor to get correct gap. I'm not sure what brand Travis offers or if this would need to be done with his pickup coil but may be something you will have to account for. Although I did opt to replace the stator/sensor with OEM parts and have not had a problem with it, I did the opposite when replacing the starter and went with the aftermarket one Travis offers and have not had a problem with it either.
Good point. Before unbolting the parts from the cover, I measure the distance between the stator and the magnetic tab of the pickup coil. That way I can verify the gap after installing the new pickup coil. Also of note is that sometimes these are polarity sensitive. You will know if its wrong as the machine may not start normal, or else idle strange. If its wrong, I just switch the wires at the plug.

If you don't just replace the trigger then go with the OEM replacement stator...if you look at the current Yamaha replacement stator it has a -02 included in the part number which means its been updated twice. Stick with the OEM part it will pay off in the long run.
JM.02c

If you don't just replace the trigger then go with the OEM replacement stator...if you look at the current Yamaha replacement stator it has a -02 included in the part number which means its been updated twice. Stick with the OEM part it will pay off in the long run.
JM.02c
Especially if the OEM isn't much more money.
Don't forget however that some of the Yamaha stators were of poor quality right from the get-go. Tons of 00-02 SRX and 02 Viper stator failures with low miles. Those early Apex had plenty of pickup coil failures. I f Yamaha cared about the consumer more, they would make the pickup coil available separately, instead of having to toss the rest of the charge stator in the scrap metal bin.

Especially if the OEM isn't much more money.
Don't forget however that some of the Yamaha stators were of poor quality right from the get-go. Tons of 00-02 SRX and 02 Viper stator failures with low miles. Those early Apex had plenty of pickup coil failures. I f Yamaha cared about the consumer more, they would make the pickup coil available separately, instead of having to toss the rest of the charge stator in the scrap metal bin.
A new oem is 500.00 . Seems like a waste of money as the stator is fine. Unbelievable that you can't get that sensor separately.

A new oem is 500.00 . Seems like a waste of money as the stator is fine. Unbelievable that you can't get that sensor separately.
I have 2 07 attaks, both failed around 10k miles . I used RM pickup coils and both worked fine with no adjustments . 30.00 Ebay at the time .

Back