• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crank but no start

YammieMan

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX1
So I rode 50 miles and the sled worked awesome. Wanted to ride the next day, no go! It cranks but doesn't run. I did so e research and charged the battery and also replaced all plugs. I borrowed a plug tester and no spark. I cam hear the fuel pump working but now I'm lost. Some of the reading I have been doing stated a stator or crank sensor. The engine light is blinking and code 12 appears on display. Any help would be awesome! As you are all professionals! Thanks

It’s the crank position sensor, which is part of the stator assembly. Pretty common failure with Apex’s that have some miles on them, time to replace it.

I was just going to say the same thing as my 08 Apex had the same symptoms; the code 12 was the tell-tale sign. It's not a bad job to do as you just need to remove the oil tank to access the crank case cover. However, the bolts for the cover vary in length so you have to keep track of which one goes where. I just used a marker and labeled the one bolt hole that was at the 1'oclock position #1 and then labeled a small dixie cup with the same number and put the bolt in it. Then going clockwise, repeated process until all 11 bolts were accounted for. When it comes to repairing, you have two options; 1) just replace/splice in new aftermarket sensor as OEM does not offer one or 2) replace with OEM stator assembly which comes with the crank sensor. Obviously, option #2 is more expensive but some have had issues with just doing option #1. I opted to do option #2 as I was planning on keeping this Apex and wanted the piece of mind if was fixed properly. If you do opt to replace yourself, be sure to order the crank cover gasket as it is not listed with the stator assembly. Also, when removing the cover, realize there is a strong magnetic pull that will make it seem to not want to come off. This also means upon re-assembly, the cover will want to snap together very quickly so be sure to have a good grip and watch those indexes.
Stator.JPG

I was just going to say the same thing as my 08 Apex had the same symptoms; the code 12 was the tell-tale sign. It's not a bad job to do as you just need to remove the oil tank to access the crank case cover. However, the bolts for the cover vary in length so you have to keep track of which one goes where. I just used a marker and labeled the one bolt hole that was at the 1'oclock position #1 and then labeled a small dixie cup with the same number and put the bolt in it. Then going clockwise, repeated process until all 11 bolts were accounted for. When it comes to repairing, you have two options; 1) just replace/splice in new aftermarket sensor as OEM does not offer one or 2) replace with OEM stator assembly which comes with the crank sensor. Obviously, option #2 is more expensive but some have had issues with just doing option #1. I opted to do option #2 as I was planning on keeping this Apex and wanted the piece of mind if was fixed properly. If you do opt to replace yourself, be sure to order the crank cover gasket as it is not listed with the stator assembly. Also, when removing the cover, realize there is a strong magnetic pull that will make it seem to not want to come off. This also means upon re-assembly, the cover will want to snap together very quickly so be sure to have a good grip and watch those indexes.
View attachment 163682
Thanks for information! So would you go with a aftermarket stator? As I priced out a oem And it's like 500.00 . Or aftermarket. ? And if so which brand.? You have part numbers? Thanks again!

View attachment 163682
Also do I drain the oil? Or can I move it far enough out of the way? Thanks

As for the oil in the tank, I removed it as I did the oil change at the same time. It's also nice having that extra room with it being out of the way because again, of the magnetic pull of the crankcase cover.

No need to drain the oil. I’d give Travis a shout like mentioned above if I was you and take it from there.

As for the oil in the tank, I removed it as I did the oil change at the same time. It's also nice having that extra room with it being out of the way because again, of the magnetic pull of the crankcase cover.
Ok.. sounds awesome! Travis is a great guy. Have bought stuff of of him before

From hanging around here for a while I can tell you that aftermarket electrical parts do not hve a good reputation. This is not personal experience, just what I see reported.

Buy the OEM replacement.

I've done this repair on 3 or 4 06-07 Apex's. Normally I would agree that OEM is better, however, I just replaced the pickup coil only on all the ones I did and they have worked fine. I get mine from a place in Stratford called MC distributing. Only about $70
Of note, you should do a visual inspection of the stator, as dark discolouring is an indicator that it may be on its way out. In that case, you'd want to buy a complete stator assembly.

Last edited:

Back