• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

crank case venting

Brian Mahoney

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016viper mtx 153
last few cold morning start ups resulted in my sled blowing all the engine oil out the air box.Took back to dealership the said cleaned the airbox and vent should be fine now.Went my cabin yesterday went warm up sled this morning and blew all the oil out again.Sled is back at dealers. Wondering if anyone else had this trouble.Sled is 2016 mtx se

Sounds like the air/oil separator tank may be freezing. Do you know if the dealer cleaned it out also?
The check ball inside the air/oil separator tank may be sticking as well, if it is the dealer will usually replace the separator tank.

I agree with Mtnviper its probably frozen. The air oil separator should be cleaned out once a year at a minimum to help prevent this. Hopefully your dealer will replace it for you this time around but clean it yearly. There is a thread on cleaning it in FAQ.

As a temporary work around if you suspect it's frozen just start the sled with the oil dip stick loose so the oil tank can vent. Let the sled idle until the fan comes on. During that time the engine/Exhaust heat will thaw out the air oil separator box at least for that ride. Don't forget to screw the dip stick back in before you take off. That will get the box breathing again so your trip is not a waste.
Check your oil level also.

Last edited:

Back