• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crankcase vent..filters..catch can...oil use?

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Hi guys,

Just had a question I have a 03 and if you read my garage post you'll know that the engine has been gone through because of a long story posted there. Anyway I have read a few posts about the 03's in particular consuming oil with the PCV conected to the filters like mine are vs just running a little K&N filter off the crankcase vent all with 0w30 oil. Last year mine was doing that very consistently and I wonder what the side effects were off eliminating the EVAC and just running a filter, I know I initally did it because I thought there was a few hp to be gained.

Any thoughts? Maybe I'll go to 5w30 oil this year which I think is what is reccomened on the 03's. Thanks!

I've been running the stock can and tube with my filters and it's using oil to, I've just decided to runner that way because all the 03's used oil to some degree if someone tells you differnt I wouldnt believe them. maybe after a few thousand more miles I'll rering it to solve the problem.

I had no oil useage when having the ECP filter kit installed in my '05 RX-1 (sold with kit onboard).
The '03 still uses some oil even with Wiseco 10:1 pistons and Wiseco rings installed. I go thru 1 quarter every 650 miles or 1000 kms, but I'm not too worry cause I only use oil when I push the sled hard running top end speeds, which I do a lot anyway....

Bottom line, I don't think the ECP filter kit with the evac is to blame on the '03s as my '05 did not use any oil with the filter kit and evac installed.

Back