• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cross Shaft Damage and Repair info and pics

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
All Viper Owners take a look at your front arm cross shaft on your rear skid. Especially if you are riding these sled super aggressively over heavy rutted trail trash. It looks like the shaft is shearing off right at the end of the bolt and the bushing support. It looks as if most of the damage is done to the shaft and the tunnel once it lets go.

DSC00665 (Medium).JPG
DSC00664 (Medium).JPG
DSC00663 (Medium).JPG
DSC00662 (Medium).JPG

The bolt and collar should not be the same length so the stress on the shaft is not in the same place... thats my take on it.
DSC00666 (Medium).JPG

See the skid looks fine.
DSC00667.JPG

Wow, That's an ugly failure! It's hard to imagine what caused this, front of the skid bottom out?

I hope this is a warranty claim Mr. Sled. Absolutely unacceptable on a sled this new!

Good you caught it, that could have caused a bad accident.

thanks for the heads up!!! I will be checking mine and my wife's today! Hopefully a recall will be in order that failure can really hurt someone!!!

thanks for the heads up!!! I will be checking mine and my wife's today! Hopefully a recall will be in order that failure can really hurt someone!!!

This is more of a freak issue or at the very least something a ditch banger type rider will experience. We saw one bowed a bit at MrSled's a couple weekends back, but that had other factors surrounding it.

All Viper Owners take a look at your front arm cross shaft on your rear skid. Especially if you are riding these sled super aggressively over heavy rutted trail trash. It looks like the shaft is shearing off right at the end of the bolt and the bushing support. It looks as if most of the damage is done to the shaft and the tunnel once it lets go.

View attachment 106821 View attachment 106822 View attachment 106823 View attachment 106824

The bolt and collar should not be the same length so the stress on the shaft is not in the same place... thats my take on it.
View attachment 106820

See the skid looks fine.
View attachment 106819
Yikes, I would also add that you will want to periodically check your bolts in the skid and particularly around the W arm and rear linkage. One of the bolts on the bottom of the W arm that attaches to the rails either sheered off or fell out. I had not idea until the rest did the same, the W arm hyper extended and then locked out causing all the pressure to the tunnel. Needless to say a new tunnel, W arm and a few other items were needed to get it back together. all under Warranty. Sorry this happened to you Mr. Sled!

This is more of a freak issue or at the very least something a ditch banger type rider will experience. We saw one bowed a bit at MrSled's a couple weekends back, but that had other factors surrounding it.
I checked both mine and wife's and they are both fine!!! We ride trails
I checked ours and they are fine! But we aren't crazy ditch banning nuts like some of you!!lol:Rockon:

My shock guy had seen this on their AC snowcross race sled this year. They have broken two shafts themselves. Understandable as they beat on thier sled. If you jump alot and/or pound your sled through the bumps regularly, this is something to keep an eye on.

Agreed. Bad things can happen when ridden really hard but this hasnt been a common issue on this chassis for the typical owner.

What was the fix on the AC Snowcross sleds? Heavier/stronger Shaft?

I would not be surprised if they do but I don't know. A more common problem is bending the lower front skid shock aluminum cross shaft. They have a steel version. It's an easy swap.

I would not be surprised if they do but I don't know. A more common problem is bending the lower front skid shock aluminum cross shaft. They have a steel version. It's an easy swap.

Yes the XC and SX do have a thicker shaft but its stepped to fit bushings. But they break also. Issue is the same length bolt and bushing. Heavier steppedshaft in XC and SX sleds use same bolt and bushing. Working on a solution that works. The lower shock shaft in XC and SX is steel and like said a direct bolt in that works.
Shaft.jpg

Back