• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Current State of the Sport

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod

Sales increase bodes well for the future.
Now, it is time to educate all these new riders about trail etiquette, off trail riding, groomed trail riding, the very important role PRIVATE land owners play, landowner respect, and how volunteers really are the backbone of this activity.
I think the above should be included in the process of every new sled delivery.
All the sales in the world wont matter without trails to ride them on.

I was at Congress, my second one. Being the president of the Illinois Snowmobile Association, it is a very good thing that you show up to represent your state, which I was happy to do along with eighteen other Illinois snowmobilers. Wisconsin had the most at over thirty represented. Ed Klim was awesome! His info was very enlightening along with being one of the most respected voices we have in Washington. Stain, you hit the nail on the head! This is one of the main goals at Congress. Finding new ways to educate every snowmobiler of the do's and don'ts of where you can ride and the respect of the landowner. The easiest way is through social media, through your local club, that and JOINING a club. ISC and ACSA, "American, Canada, Snowmobile, Association", are the biggest voices with the manufacturers and most importantly, legislation in Washington and each of the participating states. These organizations are about the only thing we have to help lobby the government from closing down riding areas! Please support and get involved with these organizations, it is the life blood of our sport, even if it's just a little bit, it all helps.

Sales increase bodes well for the future.
Now, it is time to educate all these new riders about trail etiquette, off trail riding, groomed trail riding, the very important role PRIVATE land owners play, landowner respect, and how volunteers really are the backbone of this activity.
I think the above should be included in the process of every new sled delivery.
All the sales in the world wont matter without trails to ride them on.
X2.. Well said! Respect the trails, the land owners, the speed, AND other riders. Hot dogging/racing has its time and place.. I see a lot of riders that are riding beyond ability and really disrespecting families and other riders..

I was amazed minnesota sold the most sleds in 2020!!!8,200 that is crazy!!!just need to teach the youngsters they dont need 3 inche paddles for trail riding!!!:yam:

I was amazed minnesota sold the most sleds in 2020!!!8,200 that is crazy!!!just need to teach the youngsters they dont need 3 inche paddles for trail riding!!!:yam:
Your exactly right!

I saw so many 150"+ tracks this season you would think you were in BC (I ride in Ontario). I am showing my age here - but they have no place on trails. People with those sleds go looking for trouble and inevitably piss land owners off.

Dealers always want to remain non partisan but they really have a role to play here. Standing behind "if the consumer wants it, I am going to sell it" mentality is short sighted. Selling long track sleds with 2"or greater paddles is gonna kill the trail system.
MS

I saw so many 150"+ tracks this season you would think you were in BC (I ride in Ontario). I am showing my age here - but they have no place on trails. People with those sleds go looking for trouble and inevitably piss land owners off.

Dealers always want to remain non partisan but they really have a role to play here. Standing behind "if the consumer wants it, I am going to sell it" mentality is short sighted. Selling long track sleds with 2"or greater paddles is gonna kill the trail system.
MS
my last ride I was run off the trail by young riders riding side by side, when I came over a small hill there they were right on my side of the trail, I had no option but go off trail and thank god there were no rocks, trees or deep ditches otherwise I would have been injured or worse.
As much as I despize regulation it may have to happen..safety courses, etiquette training, rules of the road, respect for landowners, respect for animals and the environment will eventually have to be taught because idiots have no common sense.
I totally agree these big paddle tracks have no place on groomed trails...as we know they just destroy them. Joe

Because of covid our trails were terribly burdened this season. On one hand its great people are getting out and being brought into this recreational activity, but on the other - more numbers means more disrespect for landowners. Its seems the longer tracks and the deeper lugs go looking for trouble.

I too hate rules - but after watching many groups help themselves to big open fields and not staying on marked trails - a paddle 2" or greater has no place in organized snowmobiling.

MS

IMG_0328.jpg

An example of how trails get shut down in pix above. On the same ride the person who rode over this cabin also rode over a stack of timber...no regards for ones safety, or property of others. Joe

Dealers always want to remain non partisan but they really have a role to play here. Standing behind "if the consumer wants it, I am going to sell it" mentality is short sighted.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
totally agree

another answer to the big paddle problem is the clubs ban them from the trail system...this is probably the easiest way to solve the continuing issue. Joe

another answer to the big paddle problem is the clubs ban them from the trail system...this is probably the easiest way to solve the continuing issue. Joe
Sounds easy but try and enforce it. There’s not enough man power to enforce the laws we already have about staying on the trails and loud exhausts. These newer riders need to be educated about the sport. Most see these videos from the off trail crowd and just assume you can ride anywhere you please.

Back