• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Curve skis - Tried different carbides

sd5500 said:
I just got a PM from Sean, and he was heading out to do more testing. They feel the 4" round is gonna be the way to go. I ordered the 6" round bar, and he delayed the shipment until they test the 4" more.

good luck but do you honestly think 2 inches of carbide will help with darting?? I say no because switching from nytro specific to 6" round did nothing whatsoever but empty my wallet a little more.

justinator said:
sd5500 said:
I just got a PM from Sean, and he was heading out to do more testing. They feel the 4" round is gonna be the way to go. I ordered the 6" round bar, and he delayed the shipment until they test the 4" more.

good luck but do you honestly think 2 inches of carbide will help with darting?? I say no because switching from nytro specific to 6" round did nothing whatsoever but empty my wallet a little more.

Not sure what to think at this point, other than these skiis were a lot of money and I'm not about to buy another set of skiis this year.

after I reviewed these skis last year, I am not sure if I want to laugh at all that bought them or cry for all that bought them.

BETHEVIPER said:
after I reviewed these skis last year, I am not sure if I want to laugh at all that bought them or cry for all that bought them.

Off topic

I feel the same way for all those that bought Nytros. After reading the reviews from all the guys that spring rode em in 07 - I felt like I was getting the best sled on snow.

Man - did I ever get duped.

So.......not sure whether to cry at all the nytro owners or laugh at em.

BLUEBALLER said:
BETHEVIPER said:

Off topic

I feel the same way for all those that bought Nytros. After reading the reviews from all the guys that spring rode em in 07 - I felt like I was getting the best sled on snow.

;):D

Damn Blue.........right between the eyes..........that hurt..........think I'm gonna cry........
:moon:

BLUEBALLER said:
BETHEVIPER said:

Off topic

dido on the 08 nitro but didnt want to be mean like you :jump:

for me, perfect skis are skis that work on icy corners. the skis are not the problem with your 08 nitro, its the spindle trail and lack of good shock valving andddddd not enough caster andddddddd stiffer sway bar or sitffer springs. putting a less agressive carbide on the sled is not going to change this. It is just going to make ski less agressive. wasnt the purpose of buying better skis to make the sled more agressive in a corner?

sorry for being an instigator but i see people heading in the wrong direction with these 08 sleds.

wish I had a friend that had bought one of these sleds. I like a challenge.

as for the curves, I modified them so they worked decent and turned easier. Best that could be expected for a ski that the carbide is not shielded. If you are trying to lessen the bite and get rid of darting, use the duce bars from studboy on them. duce bars dont have the bite of a single shaper but they do track well. somewhere between a dually and a single. I'm testing a set of usi triple threats now with a duce bars and they work very well, just dont cut in on icy stuff as good as a single, simmons or arrows.

If you guys are darting, try taking weight off the front end and make sure your skis are aligned. There is nothing wrong with the Curve skis, the Nytro is just very sensitive to set up.

Skis are too much a personal thing to me. BTV didn't seem to care for the Curves, I certainly respect that, at the same time I'm curious to see what he states about the USI triples as I had them on my Apex. Now, I liked them, tuned them and tried everything except for the easy steer plate. My arms would feel like they were going to fall off at the end of the day. If I made them easier to steer, they were not aggressive enough. Very responsive, but way too hard to turn; I didn't realize this until I rode with the Curves. Now I understand that I can have both, relatively easy steering and bite at the same time.
Skis are give and take, just like the sleds are, you can't have it all perfect all the time under all conditions. Is there a better ski out there, maybe, but for me and all around riding I'm happy with the Curve's on my S.E.. Right now I'm running the 7.5" C@A full carbide on them and it's a bit more aggressive but right where I prefer to have it.

AKrider said:
If you guys are darting, try taking weight off the front end and make sure your skis are aligned. There is nothing wrong with the Curve skis, the Nytro is just very sensitive to set up.

I know the steps involved in getting rid of darting........big problem with these skis is the push even with lots of ski pressure, remove ski pressure and you might as well drive yourself into the woods.

If you are pushing, it isn't the skis, it is the weight transfer of the Nytro. I first tried the Curves on my Vector while my Nytro was sitting in my garage waiting for the shocks to come back. The Curves worked really well on the Vector. The handled the corners predictably and accurately. I didn't experience pushing.

The Nytro is a different animal. The 121 Nytro has lots of transfer that needs to be tuned to your liking. I can't help with set-ups on an XTX since I've not ridden one plus it uses a longer and different rear skid.

Its not a weight transfer issue when your coming in to a corner and off the throttle. Either way I am not devoting one more second to trying to tune these skis. The mountain skis I have track straight and turn too.

Here's another example of my point. My Phazer MTX has the Mtn. skis, to me the are junk. Not enough floatation, and the cornering is terrible. Just too many variables to accurately rate skis. That and everyone has their own idea of how a ski should function/feel/look.

Also...most people on this forum have only tried one, maybe two, different aftermarket skis (Me included) on their Nytro. Remember that every sled is different and what works on a Nytro may or may not work on a REV.

So when people change skis, hopefully it is an improvement, but is it as good as the next ski? :dunno:

justinator said:
Its not a weight transfer issue when your coming in to a corner and off the throttle. Either way I am not devoting one more second to trying to tune these skis. The mountain skis I have track straight and turn too.

If you are pushing while going into a corner with the throttle closed than your set up is completely wrong. Put everything back to stock and establish a baseline.

Lucky is right, everyone has different expectations of how a ski should perform. There is no single set up that is going to work for everyone. There are just too many variables that come into play, i.e., snow conditions, trail conditions, rider weight, rider riding style, studded, not studded, etc, etc.

I'm still working to tune my sled, but what works for me may not work for another guy. On my sled I've raced with stock skis and Slydog race skis, and then put on lots of play and practice miles on Ultra Flex III's and even tried some 7" wide VK Professional skis. So far I like the Curves for trail use but every ski required me to do something different to the sled to dial in the handling. The Nytro just isn't an easy sled to set up. Or, I guess you could look at it like it is very sensitive to changes and it is very easy to make it worse than stock.

Back