• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Custom turbo kit

np342403

Veteran
I am throwing around the idea of turbocharging my Phazer. I am pretty familiar with the whole "turbo system world" and was thinking about trying to make a custom turbo kit. Has anyone else made a custom turbo kit for their Phazer? Or is everyone just purchasing the kits? If there are some custom kits out there, I would love to see them and hear about how you did them. :Rockon:

I my self am thinking of doing this but i am thinking of making the sled run on propane with the turbo. Lol i know i am nuts for doing this lol

Making a kit or buying a kit, dont see "real question"?
What i guess is interesting is what do you want?
Pumpgass? How much HP? Extra injectors and efi/ecu or bigger injectors and some sort of powercommander?
What sort of oil/cooling system? Underseat turbo or else?
IC or no IC?

I run mcx, but it could have been made by "anyone" with knowledge. I do not know enugh about different turbos and so on to make everything my self, but could always read :)

Run on propane? Great :) would love to se how that works!

Lite said:
Making a kit or buying a kit, dont see "real question"?
What i guess is interesting is what do you want?
Pumpgass? How much HP? Extra injectors and efi/ecu or bigger injectors and some sort of powercommander?
What sort of oil/cooling system? Underseat turbo or else?
IC or no IC?

I run mcx, but it could have been made by "anyone" with knowledge. I do not know enugh about different turbos and so on to make everything my self, but could always read :)

Run on propane? Great :) would love to se how that works!

I am looking at mirroring the traditional underseat turbo system with around 140-150 hp, pump gas. I would run a very similar setup with intercooler, head shim, etc...but make it all myself.

yeah, why not?
Headshim you get from mcx. The mcx ic with plenum is also nice as it fits the phazer nice. You can always make an ic youreself also. Why bother making the head shim?
What do you think about fuel and controll?
Whatever you do, make sure you have an AF setup, but i guess you know that :)
After some days you might get a good enough setup that works.

I guess mcx had some testing before they got the correct turbo for the setup...

If i where to make a different system, or change something on my system, it would be building a new eshaust system all the way from the engine.
After hitting the rev-limiter a few times, the yama-system craks up ALOT and leaks so you loose lots of pressure.

Lite said:
If i where to make a different system, or change something on my system, it would be building a new eshaust system all the way from the engine.

X2

I got fed up with leaks and welded it solid where the doughnuts used to be.
There is some serious exhaust heat vs. fuel tank issues with turbo phazers. I have read about several burning up on the net, and a local one went up in flames last moth. I bought mine used and the fuel tank had almost burned through even with extra heat shielding added.

I am seriously considering relocating the turbo to the oil tank area this summer. I have seen pics of this somewhere and I think it would help with the negatives I have experienced with a rear mount.

I dont have too many negatives with the underseat mound. The exhaust is heatwraped, and i have "closed" the front tunnel with perforated aluminium. It seems to work well, but maby i'll put a temp sensor under the tank just to see how hot it gets. Thinking about drilling went holes in the side of the heatsheald also...
Dont se how the turbo should make it so much warmer than the stock exhaust? Some i get...

Please make a info post if you move the turbo!
Do you have the mcx kit?

After i got my exhaust welded up, it seems to work fine, but i'll se how it holds up since it's quite recent it was fixed. lots of turbo delay(lag) before.

Lite said:
I dont have too many negatives with the underseat mound. The exhaust is heatwraped, and i have "closed" the front tunnel with perforated aluminium. It seems to work well, but maby i'll put a temp sensor under the tank just to see how hot it gets. Thinking about drilling went holes in the side of the heatsheald also...
Dont se how the turbo should make it so much warmer than the stock exhaust? Some i get...

Please make a info post if you move the turbo!
Do you have the mcx kit?

After i got my exhaust welded up, it seems to work fine, but i'll se how it holds up since it's quite recent it was fixed. lots of turbo delay(lag) before.

X2 on the exhaust leaks causing excessive lag. I check for leaks by briefly covering the exhaust every time i ride now. As far as the exhaust heat; I have a stock phazer too and there is no comparison. I even melted the front heat shied a few weeks ago. If you think about it, at 1 bar, you're burning roughly twice as much fuel as a non-turbo. Riding style is a factor too as I don't really think the heat becomes an issue until long periods WOT.

I ride mainly deep power, and i have continuous issues with intake icing up, slushy/icy running boards from exhaust heat, heaps of steam coming from everywhere and the ever present worry of melting the fuel tank. When I'm on the trail or the snow isn't as deep (and using less throttle as a result) there really isn't an issue.

I believe a side mount would help with all this as well it would reduce the exhaust and intake volumes for better performance.

It is just an idea at this point. Not sure it would even work. The oil tank would have to go somewhere else and there is a bunch of wiring there too. If I was making my own kit though, it is something I would seriously consider. Perhaps a mid-mount like on some nytro kits would be possible, but a different fuel tank would be necessary.

Well, i havent been rideing in to much deep snow, and now i'm mainly backcountry rideing(guess that's what you call it?), lots of trees-hills and so on so no WOT on me(or barly for a asecond or so).

Maby i'll have more trouble when i take it to sweeden where ther's more room to play than back home.

I will take the fuel tank of and see how it holds up, and maby ad som extra protection if possible.

I also see LOTS of steam comming from everywhere when i ride in powder, but not too much iceing i guess.
Then again i have barly used my sled, as it has been in and out of repair. Works great now after new fuel regulator, and welded exhaust and rewrapping exhaust.(nockin on some wood)

There came some snow the last few days, looking forward to testing some more :)

Back