• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DALTON WEIGHTS VS STCK WEIGHTS WITH TD TUNE BUNDLE

Wingwong

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 YAMAHA SIDEWINDER LTX-LE
Hey everyone, need help figuring out best option for TD tune bundle with stock muffler.
My bundle options are
Stock,230,250,260,max 16
I have Dalton QAY-70(70-77.4g)
Rest of sled is pretty much stock
Trying to figure out what best setting for the weights. I understand stock weights is about 72.4, I want to be able to cover the tunes 250 and up but don’t really want to have to change weights screws. Any advice would be great.
Also if anyone know of a video or step by step directions for changing the cam arms on sidewinder, please forward link.
Thanks in advance for input

I had sm ecotrail last season, upgraded to max spool 16. With the ecotrail I used the same Dalton weights at 70.7 grams, rpms were 8850 to 8900. Only been out once with max spool 16, weights at 72 grams, saw 9050 rpms, going to try 73 grams next.Big difference from ecotrail

I’m running Dtya-1 empty 74.74g and it’s too much for Ecotrail. I would start at 72g and add from there. I’m hoping Max 16 will pull ~9000 and I’ll leave it alone then.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, need help figuring out best option for TD tune bundle with stock muffler.
My bundle options are
Stock,230,250,260,max 16
I have Dalton QAY-70(70-77.4g)
Rest of sled is pretty much stock
Trying to figure out what best setting for the weights. I understand stock weights is about 72.4, I want to be able to cover the tunes 250 and up but don’t really want to have to change weights screws. Any advice would be great.
Also if anyone know of a video or step by step directions for changing the cam arms on sidewinder, please forward link.
Thanks in advance for input

Check out this video for the Big Venom clutch kit. Its a very thorough video to refer to. Just do a google search for proper torque settings for the Sidewinder clutch's.

Terry Burmeister, A.K.A. NOS PRO, does a great job.

Not sure if this helps you. I went with Powertrail, CAI and Super Quiet exhaust. Also, black-bronze primary spring which is close to stock engagement and black-orange secondary spring. I haven’t had a chance to ride this year so not sure of the RPM yet but Mike at TD advised me to go with 5 grams in my QAY-70 arms for a total of 75. He thought it should be close but said I may need to add even a little more with that set up if it still revs high.

I don’t have a step by step but I found installing the arms in clutch to be pretty straight forward. A couple little things that I found out here on the forum: when working on the primary clutch never turn the engine backward (clockwise) - even a little, follow the correct procedure for torquing when putting the cover plate on the primary and when putting the weights in the arms thread them all the way to the tip untill they bottom out then back off 1/4 turn. I went with a 1/2” and a 3/4” weight in each QAY arm but will replace the 3/4” with 1” if the revs are still high.

Its gonna be hard to cover that huge spread in tune HP without adding/removing slugs. That is why having alot of tunes at your left thumb button is not really usable if you want peak performance for each thumb press.

The whole idea of the Dalton adjustables is how easy they are to tune. But you still gotta stop and add a slug.

I think most guys who run a Jukebox will tend to rev the highest map they run around 9000-9100rpms. And then the map below that usually falls into a decent range too. I tend to run 270hp mostly, and so I set that up for 9000-9100 or so, and that map is a complete animal corner to corner since its slightly over revving, Snap is crazy and lifts the nose at will off knolls. Exactly how I like it. Then when I hit the big wide open trails or lakes, I tend to dial down to 240hp map, which revs about 8650-8750 with the same weights, this works awesome on big trails and long hauls, less knock and I run 87 often for trips/touring days.

If I want to go out and run speed/radar runs, I would get some 93 and half bottle of lucas and ADD weight to the daltons for that day, and dial in my 270 or 290 maps for 8800-8900 and go tap out my gearing easily.

Dan

Agreed. Even tho my sled does not pull optimum revs it’s extremely driveable so I feel I can use My 3 tunes Eco Power and Max. I think TD sent me the wrong weights but they said try it because utltimately I may need to add a Little. I don’t really plan to add any more HP at this point.

Running the 270 flash in mine test yesterday. Set rpm 9000 shift was seeing the best mph . From a dead stop 91 pioneer gas would deto flash at about 90-100 mph , put in preto-can 94 would run up to 122-125mph deto- flash one time in grassy hay field. Still needed some octane boost to stop it.

Running the 270 flash in mine test yesterday. Set rpm 9000 shift was seeing the best mph . From a dead stop 91 pioneer gas would deto flash at about 90-100 mph , put in preto-can 94 would run up to 122-125mph deto- flash one time in grassy hay field. Still needed some octane boost to stop it.
How far ya think roughly? 2000ft?

I used to get 3000+ft on my cat with high boost map, using 94 petro-can and half bottle lucas would do it.

I have not really spent any time radaring or GPS speed runs with this setup yet, Sure has the jam to tap out gearing but needs octane for those 2000ft ++ runs for sure.

Hurricane or TD?

Dan

The run I was using was close to 2500 , I just used trees as a marker , leaving myself lots of run off . Old age trying to reading gauges at plus 100mph is alittle harder ... lol. I always use the same field same area . Packs down creating a good runway.

The run I was using was close to 2500 , I just used trees as a marker , leaving myself lots of run off . Old age trying to reading gauges at plus 100mph is alittle harder ... lol. I always use the same field same area . Packs down creating a good runway.
I hear ya.....I have an area on my lake that Ive been running since I was a kid. Beach at north end, down the northeast shore to my beach is just about 2600ft. So where we start is 2500 or so. I like this cause we started running this when I was a kid and I like comparing all those speeds from old days. Machs used to run 122 radar in this section(stock/clutched) and they needed more like 3000ft to run 126 or so. But the winder with 270 hits 125 before the 2500ft and is climbing fast still.....

Just nice to see the lengths of track(ft) guys are getting before knock lite flickers. Fuel obviously comes into play but it seems most are using 91 or so(Canada) or 93 in US. Put some race fuel in and never seeing a knock lite is cool for sure, shows the massive power and holding it is incredible. Buds winder with 31psi obviously running c16, man that thing was sick to try to hold WOT for any length of time. lol

Dan

TD posted this on their facebook page 09 Sept. Its kinda hard to find so this is probably a good place to record it. I see Ben mentioning STM clutches lately but throughout for the Yam clutches he has been recommending the 35 helix. I'm interested in getting a Dalton 35 but would there really be any difference from the stock 35?

Thanks for posting the chart. I don’t use Facebook so this helps a lot.

TD posted this on their facebook page 09 Sept. Its kinda hard to find so this is probably a good place to record it. I see Ben mentioning STM clutches lately but throughout for the Yam clutches he has been recommending the 35 helix. I'm interested in getting a Dalton 35 but would there really be any difference from the stock 35?

Crazy
TD chart on website must be out of date
It shows different weights.
Will use this for reference
Thanks

Back