• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dash digital display not working on 2012 RS Vector

Here is the pic

Attachments

• 100_1397.JPG
    100_1397.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 197

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g4n5twbgd22hhs/Yamaha Display.gif?dl=0

Perfect. The component you want to check is ZD1 in the lower right. With a DVM in resistance mode you should see a higher resistance when the red lead is on the "K" side and the black lead is on the "A" side then when the leads are switched. With a DVM in the DIODE mode, you'll see maybe .6 with the red lead on "A", black lead on "K". You should see an open reading with the leads switched. If it reads the same in both directions the diode is shot and should be replaced. There is another identical diode in the upper left of the board (out of range of your picture). You can compare the readings of both diodes to see if any differences - they should test out the same if they are both good.
You can replaced the diode with any 1/2 watt 14V zener from your local electronics distributor. It'l be easier to find one with wire leads, just bend & cut to solder onto the pads.
The zener's job in the circuit is to protect the other chips from voltage spikes above 14V - sometimes they die in the battle if the overvoltage condition lasts too long. It sits in the circuit electrically backwards doing nothing until that condition happens.

Thanks, the one on the right reads .2 Kohms both ways and the other reads 66 kohms both ways. The one on right reads .11 v both ways and the other diode reads 1.8v and the other way .71v. Does not look easy to remove and solder new one but I will try once I get one.

OK - Sounds like the one on the right is bad. Hopefully you're about 35 cents away from a working display.

OK - Sounds like the one on the right is bad. Hopefully you're about 35 cents away from a working display.
wow I so love this site so much knowledge. anyone who thinks VIP is not worth it this guy may have saved 250 bucks because of the info he received here. One could get two VIP memberships for that.

This is how you should desolder the diode using solder wick.

This is how you should desolder the diode using solder wick.

I replaced zener diode and it worked!

I am very happy you figured that out and shared it. I am now ready for the snow.

Thank you very much pdiddy.

Back