• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Decibel Testing on SanDale Mufflers for the 998

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 998 turbo
We always get questions in regards to how loud our mufflers are. Seeing that we produce the product I feel it is always better to have someone else share their results.
Allen Ulmer has done this test and shared it with me and I will now share with you. Please note the HeartBreaker has not been done yet and nor has the New SanDale Outlaw Muffler
thumbsup.png

Decibel Testing

Stock @ idle 73.5 decibels
Stock @ 2500 rpm 81.1 decibels
Stock @ 5000 rpm 91.2 decibels
Stock @ Wide Open Throttle 102.3 decibels

Mod Stock @ idle 76.0
Mod Stock @ 2500 rpm 81.4
Mod Stock @ 5000 rpm 93.9
Mod Stock @ WOT rpm 102.8

2.5" Superflow Muffler @ idle 78.8 decibels
2.5" Superflow Muffler @ 2500 rpm 83.2 decibels
2.5" Superflow Muffler @ 5000 rpm 93.6 decibels
2.5" Superflow Muffler @ Wide Open Throttle 103.7 decibels

3" Hyperflow Muffler @ idle 82.9 decibels
3" Hyperflow Muffler @ 2500 rpm 88.6 decibels
3" Hyperflow Muffler @ 5000 rpm 96.8 decibels
3" Hyperflow Muffler @ Wide Open Throttle 106.6 decibels

These were all taken at the exact same distance (13 feet from the sled) on the same day.

Thanks Allen for the report, always appreciated!!

Mike

Last edited:

We always get questions in regards to how loud our mufflers are. Seeing that we produce the product I feel it is always better to have someone else share their results.
Allen Ulmer has done this test and shared it with me and I will now share with you. Please note the HeartBreaker has not been done yet and nor has the New SanDale Outlaw Muffler
thumbsup.png

Decibel Testing

Stock @ idle 73.5 decibels
Stock @ 2500 rpm 81.1 decibels
Stock @ 5000 rpm 91.2 decibels
Stock @ Wide Open Throttle 102.3 decibels

Mod Stock @ idle 76.0
Mod Stock @ 2500 rpm 81.4
Mod Stock @ 5000 rpm 93.9
Mod Stock @ WOT rpm 102.8

2.5" Superflow Muffler @ idle 78.8 decibels
2.5" Superflow Muffler @ 2500 rpm 83.2 decibels
2.5" Superflow Muffler @ 5000 rpm 93.6 decibels
2.5" Superflow Muffler @ Wide Open Throttle 103.7 decibels

3" Hyperflow Muffler @ idle 82.9 decibels
3" Hyperflow Muffler @ 2500 rpm 88.6 decibels
3" Hyperflow Muffler @ 5000 rpm 96.8 decibels
3" Hyperflow Muffler @ Wide Open Throttle 106.6 decibels

These were all taken at the exact same distance (13 feet from the sled) on the same day.

Thanks Allen for the report, always appreciated!!

Mike
Thank you...that is excellent information

Looks like the superflow is marginally louder than stock ( no exhaust noise when riding at speed ) How loud is the hyper flow or heartbreaker when cruising down the trail ? Can u hear the exhaust while riding sled ?

Looks like the superflow is marginally louder than stock ( no exhaust noise when riding at speed ) How loud is the hyper flow or heartbreaker when cruising down the trail ? Can u hear the exhaust while riding sled ?
There is a noticeable difference at idle between the SuperFlow/HyperFlow vs stock. Cruising speeds, you do hear the HyperFlow and the HeartBreaker cannot be fooled as it is loud.
Set up 2 machines today, one with the SuperFlow and 240R Hurricane Flash, the other HeartBreaker and 270R Hurricane Flash... you can't hear the SuperFlow running over the HeartBreaker.
Have to point out, received flashes within 20mins of sending the ecu info! Thank you Ryan at Hurricane for the exceptional customer service!

Just went on the first ride with the heartbreaker. Snow conditions are like driving on concrete which I think does very little to deaden sound I find it way to loud. Even with ear plug. My opinion it’s even to loud to enjoy it’s awesome sound

Seat of the pants Dyno I think it really rips compared to the hurricane mountain 2.5 that I replaced. It will be going back on. Going to try it on my MTX but most likely going to be for sale in the future

To bad cause it feels really strong power wise

I was curious what the the difference in db as posted previously really should sound like if we compare the other mufflers to stock. (using previously posted numbers).

The 3" muffler is really a lot louder. The left (vertical axis) is a conversion from the difference in db to how you perceive that as loudness (6db = perceptually twice as loud), the horizontal axis is RPM. When you look at just db numbers it doesn't look like a lot, hence this graph.

e.g. the hyperflow is a little over 3x louder than the stock muffler at idle although at those volume levels we aren't as picky. The stock modified muffler has a bit of a peak at 5000 rpm. Wide open (using 9000 rpm as a proxy) the 3" muffler is about one and a half times as loud as the stock muffler.

(the stock muffler value was set just above zero value for the purpose of the graph, so the blue bar showed up, all other numbers are relative to the stock muffler)

View attachment 167590

Still a little confusing but then audio always is.

I like the actual sounds tests better.
We get to hear the sound.

This is the LOUD Heartbreaker muffler.

I hear ya ;)

I was just looking for volume levels. I agree on listening for the sound (what it actually sounds like) in a video and you can more easily pick up on tone, drone, etc..

An example

In that clip the difference in volume is minimal. Yes, one is louder than the other but nowhere near what the volume difference is in person.

In that clip, despite the db measuring higher with each progressive exhaust upgrade the recording device actually makes some sound quieter. That is nowhere close to the real world (as far as volume goes).

3 decibels is double the sound pressure. That’s the mathematics. The common log of 2(double) is .301. To convert to decibel multiply by 10 and it rounds to 3.

In that clip the difference in volume is minimal. Yes, one is louder than the other but nowhere near what the volume difference is in person
Soooo true.
Video clips are deceiving. for one, you not ON the sled listening to it. The sound is totally different
I ran one of those Excell exhaust's for 2 days. End of the second day, I said "no thanks" In the audio clip the difference is not as bad.

I had a 3" Sandale Heartbreaker muffler for one ride this year. Took it off the next day and sold it.
We all know video clips don't give the actual sound of the muffler like your on the sled.
Don't need no board room graphs.

I just want know which performance muffler is the quietest?
Actually I know the PEFI muffler is the quietest, just not the best for power
Is the old adage "you cant have power without sound" still true after all these years?

3 decibels is double the sound pressure. That’s the mathematics. The common log of 2(double) is .301. To convert to decibel multiply by 10 and it rounds to 3.

yep, but double the power isn't double the apparent volume, that requires 10db which is what I used corrected to above it doesn't really matter as it will all just scale relative to the reference muffler (IOW the vertical axis numbers change but the relative scale is similar).

When a quiet 3" performance muffler shows up that makes awesome power I'll put my money up.

Back