• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Desperate for Electrical Help Ignition Fuse Keeps Blowing(long read)

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Friday I had ridden my sled to the groomer shop in Fischerville to groom. Drove sled back home after grooming till 4:30am. It was parked outside all night. Yesterday our trails were being closed at end of day so rode most of morning Afternoon I had a Family reunion thing in Whitelaw a small town about 1o-15 mi away so decided to take sled there to get every last ride in.

Left home ditch river trail to Francis Creek for gas. Filled up and rode maybe 5 miles and sled suddenly died in a smooth fast field. Dead nothing at all. No Guages,No prime,Nothing. After looking at fuses found Ignition fuse shot. Gave all visible wires a quick lookover replaced fuse and everything was alive again when key turned on and sled ran fine. Made it about 1/4mi right into the middle of a large field dead again. More looking and wiggling replaced fuse started and went 10 ft blew another. At this point I started disconnecting anything I could on trail. Switched Winder pickup back to Viper,PCV and afr,Rocks accessory box even hand warmer plug on bars and seat heater by battery. Everything I could. Installed another fuse. Turned key on and immediately popped a Ignition fuse. Desperate I put a 40amp in there and it immediately popped that also when key was turned on. Tried looking and wiggling and installing fuses 3 more times with fuse popping immediately when key turned on each time.

Started walking. Didnt make it far and first snowmobile to come by was a good buddy who towed me to the road.(POLARIS). Texted my daughter at party in Whitelaw to pick me up. Very useful feature on I Phone. Just hit arrow next to name at top of text and option to send current location is there. She drove right to me. By this time I was very late for Party so went there and had a great time. Came home after and got truck and trailer along with a come-along to get the dead pig up on trailer. Got there right before dark. Put another in there and popped it again immediately when key turned on. A group of about 30 sleds came up. Of course I knew damn near all of them! Embarrassing as hell but a few helped drag it on trailer pretty easily so Thankful for the help. Those who have dealt with electrical felt my pain. Those that didnt said I should leave #*$&@ stock. Whatever.
51F7C0EF-C064-4CDD-B9E2-3D11DECC8620.jpeg

Got it home and dragged it off trailer with my little Tractor. Got it in shop. Repeated same thing as above same results blow fuse. Took hood off and did not touch anything. Installed fuse and my extension wire so I can run sled with hood off. Fired right up. Now what? I cannot find any rubbed wires and cannot get that fuse to pop! I cannot trust my sled. Locally no big deal but just the weekend before if this were to happen it would have been dangerous even at -20 middle of UP. Sorry for long post but I dont want to forget anything that may be important. What would you do?
572BB98A-9503-4D0D-B78A-CADC8CE1B169.jpeg

Last edited:

Friday I had ridden my sled to the groomer shop in Fischerville to groom. Drove sled back home after grooming till 4:30am. It was parked outside all night. Yesterday our trails were being closed at end of day so rode most of morning Afternoon I had a Family reunion thing in Whitelaw a small town about 1o-15 mi away so decided to take sled there to get every last ride in.

Left home ditch river trail to Francis Creek for gas. Filled up and rode maybe 5 miles and sled suddenly died in a smooth fast field. Dead nothing at all. No Guages,No prime,Nothing. After looking at fuses found Ignition fuse shot. Gave all visible wires a quick lookover replaced fuse and everything was alive again when key turned on and sled ran fine. Made it about 1/4mi right into the middle of a large field dead again. More looking and wiggling replaced fuse started and went 10 ft blew another. At this point I started disconnecting anything I could on trail. Switched Winder pickup back to Viper,PCV and afr,Rocks accessory box even hand warmer plug on bars and seat heater by battery. Everything I could. Installed another fuse. Turned key on and immediately popped a Ignition fuse. Desperate I put a 40amp in there and it immediately popped that also when key was turned on. Tried looking and wiggling and installing fuses 3 more times with fuse popping immediately when key turned on each time.

Started walking. Didnt make it far and first snowmobile to come by was a good buddy who towed me to the road.(POLARIS). Texted my daughter at party in Whitelaw to pick me up. Very useful feature on I Phone. Just hit arrow next to name at top of text and option to send current location is there. She drove right to me. By this time I was very late for Party so went there and had a great time. Came home after and got truck and trailer along with a come-along to get the dead pig up on trailer. Got there right before dark. Put another in there and popped it again immediately when key turned on. A group of about 30 sleds came up. Of course I knew damn near all of them! Embarrassing as hell but a few helped drag it on trailer pretty easily so Thankful for the help. Those who have dealt with electrical felt my pain. Those that didnt said I should leave #*$&@ stock. Whatever.
View attachment 145772

Got it home and dragged it off trailer with my little Tractor. Got it in shop. Repeated same thing as above same results blow fuse. Took hood off and did not touch anything. Installed fuse and my extension wire so I can run sled with hood off. Fired right up. Now what? I cannot find any rubbed wires and cannot get that fuse to pop! I cannot trust my sled. Locally no big deal but just the weekend before if this were to happen it would have been dangerous even at -20 middle of UP. Sorry for long post but I dont want to forget anything that may be important. What would you do?
View attachment 145773
Have you tried putting the hood back on without the extension harness and repeating?

Will there be a picture of you getting towed on a different forum?
:)

That really sounds like the insulation on a wire has rubbed through somewhere. I would check anywhere a harness could be disturbed from taking the hood off. For a complete short circuit where a 40 amp fuse won't hold, it really sounds like a wire has chafed or broken going directly to a ground. Good luck on your hunt.

That really sounds like the insulation on a wire has rubbed through somewhere. I would check anywhere a harness could be disturbed from taking the hood off. For a complete short circuit where a 40 amp fuse won't hold, it really sounds like a wire has chafed or broken going directly to a ground. Good luck on your hunt.
I agree. Should be actual welding marks with that much amperage. I just cant find it. Would think even burned wire after 40 amp fuse. Nothing.

I agree. Should be actual welding marks with that much amperage. I just cant find it. Would think even burned wire after 40 amp fuse. Nothing.

These kind of issues are the worse! I feel your pain for sure. I know it’s not a good idea but on a old truck of mine as a last resort I have ran a jumper wire in place of the fuse and then followed the smoke to find the short. You could have two wires that have rubbed together under the wire loom somewhere that would me my guess anyways.

Put hood back on and everything else hooked up again. Nothing. Works fine.
I don't have the service manual with wiring diagram for this sled. All I can suggest is follow the wires that are tied to this circuit.
Rip around the yard, maybe it will die again.

These kind of issues are the worse! I feel your pain for sure. I know it’s not a good idea but on a old truck of mine as a last resort I have ran a jumper wire in place of the fuse and then followed the smoke to find the short. You could have two wires that have rubbed together under the wire loom somewhere that would me my guess anyways.
I was looking for smoke when I put that 40amp fuse in. Nothing.

Hard to trust the sled when you have a problem pop up like this and cant fine it.

Yup and big weekend with family planned starting fri. Need all 3 running.
Maybe you've already tried this but running it with the hood off and wiggling every harness and wire you can find might make something show up. You'd think that with it now running it could be made to short out again. Anything look odd in the harness going up to the display.? These things can hide and show up at the worst times.

Dang that’s no good. I hate those electrical gremlins that pop up and then disappear only to show up at the worst possible time again. Sounds like you’re going to have to start pulling wire loom and looking over all the wires. One thing that popped into my head was the key switch itself too. Shouldn’t be anything there to ground out against though.

Back