• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Difference between drive axles?

thegrizzly1

Lifetime Member
Hello all, a bit of a technical question. Has anyone ever compared the drive axle between the RX series sled and the older pro action?(2000 SX, SRX, MM) I know there is a difference in the spedo pickup end, but my specific question is: If I pull out the square drive bushing in a 2000SX drive axle, and drill and tap it for the magnetic pickup on the new sleds, is everything else the same?

Thanks for any help.

They are all the same. They did strengthen the drive axle also in 00. The pre 00 drive axles were a little weak & i did break a few of em.

Hey, just noticed an old post of mine about drive axles. In case anyone ever has the same question I did, the axles are not the same. They are different lengths as well as spedo drive configurations. Near as I could tell by doing part # searches, all the 4-strokes are the same, but they are different lengths than the 2 stroke pro-action skid and are not interchangable.

all rx, vector, apex shafts are the same and are alittle different length than the older shafts from the two strokes.
vipers had there own shaft,
srx/vmax/sx shafts are the same. some say that the later ones are better but as someone that sells parts, they are not. i have seen many newer shafts break. they are all made of a very soft metal, not hardened in any way. you can cut them with a hacksaw easy and drill and tap them with no issues.

you can use a viper/rx guage on the newer ignition two stroke srx/sx motors. i have one on my venture if that is what your thinking.

Once a year I go out west and throw a 2" track on. I have to go to 8 tooth drivers for clearance. I don't have a press and for me it is a PITA to press drivers on and off a shaft.

I have a complete drive shaft assembly with 8 tooth drivers from my old 2000 MM700. I was hoping to drill and tap the end of that shaft to accept the pickup for the new style guage. I found out the shafts are in fact different lengths as you and I stated and that I could not do what I wanted.

I have since picked up a used drive axle assembly off of an 03 RX-1 mountain. I just changed out the whole assembly when I put on the tall lug track. I'll do the same when I switch it back. That way I don't have to press drivers on and off.

Thanks for the reply.

Back