• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Digging into valves

kingtut

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex
Did a compression test on the apex and got 30psi on cylinder 1, 2, and , 4 and 120psi on cylinder 3. This to me seems like an intake/ exhaust valve problem. I assume I just have to pull the head off and soak it with some carb cleaner and put it back together.

Anything I should know before taking off the cams and head?

They corrode up over the summer when not run. See it every summer with the Apex engine. It should come back to life if this is what it is after running it hard, seems it always takes a tank or two of fuel before it's back making RPM and good power again.

It's been a long journey. The sled hasn't run in 3 years. Last time it ran I had a quarter size hole in the exhaust before the turbo. I'm assuming I ran way too rich, the. I proceeded to shut the sled off and let it sit for a long time. Attached is a pic of one of the intake valves. It's pretty rusty, is this passable? How could I get the sled started without taking this head off. It looks like a huge pain in the groin area.

Attachments

• 20170811_183556.jpg
    20170811_183556.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 122

Back