• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DIY nytro airframe hood

zx4ever

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
08 nytro ty4stroke customized
Thought I would share my latest project. Since I cracked my hood last year and found a new one for cheep. I thought I would use my old one to make a airframe hood for those spring riding days. I cut out my own vents and formed them to fit the stock hood then riveted it all together and put some truck box liner over it all. I think it will work great and Cost me next to nothing.
438023fc8897d6a0f282eacf02acc3ae.jpg
711aaeb2405c93c9dd695ceedd4b49ef.jpg
76cba1cf7c320e0367d48e384f69f572.jpg
b63d571d6e68ef94f9c298d839eb6486.jpg

That is good work and looks cool

It's TIIIIIIIMMMMME to do it lol

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

Well I just weighed it and it is 1 lb heavier than stock. Oh well. It will be tough and should let the monster breath. I have always wanted a skinz airframe hood but just could not justify the $600 Canadian for one. This is in my price range [emoji106]

Just ride without the hood. It'll breathe even better.

You are correct. Up till now I do ride with out the hood. But only on hard pack spring snow days. My gauges do not fair to well to be rolled with no hood on. [emoji15]I am looking forward to using this hood on the deep snow warm days.

Last edited:
What did you use for the vent frame?
I have a spare hood I've been wanting to do something with.

I used some sign material that I had kicking around it worked really well as it can hold the shape of the hood. I also have used thin aluminum in the past and painted it. The stuff I used was called AL 13. But I have also seen other brands. It looks like black puckboard core, sandwiched between two thin layers of aluminum.

Last edited:
I used some sign material that I had kicking around it worked really well as it can hold the shape of the hood. I also have used thin aluminum in the past and painted it. The stuff I used was called AL 13. But I have also seen other brands. It looks like black puckboard core, sandwiched between town thin layers of aluminum.
Excellent I may have to make something of a damaged hood. lol

just thought I would update on this hood mod. It worked really well, keeps things nice and cool with no snow ingestion. Well worth doing.

I used door screen material cause when it is being used is in the spring, when the snow is heavy not fluffy. If I was going to use it in fluffy snow, I would use the mo flow fabric. That is what I used on side panel vents.

Back