• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Diy skidplate

Yamawobble

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro xtx
Just wanted to bounce an idea off some fellow nytro owners. When doing my oil change I started brain storming some ideas on how to make my own skid plate. I was think about getting a 12 guage steel plate and drilling four holes in it and mounting it up where old skidplate screws on to. Then mount up the existing plate to the steel plate. So pretty much i will have a steel plate mounted between the frame and plastic skid plate.

the plastic skidplate i am refering to is the one that goes from the bumper to the engine not the one that has the aluminum braces that like to hit the oil filter.

Anyone see any possible issues with this.

Seems like a little overkill but hey if it makes you feel like your more protected. Why not.

I just don't trust the plastic ones, I seen the aftermarket ones that are nice but I would rather spend my money on other mods if I can make something myself. I do some off trial riding and would hate to put a rock or stump through the plastic one

I agree. Our crew of riders feel the same. We made our own skid plates. Just get some 3/16" aluminum trace out the stock shape. Cut and drill your holes. If you really want to get fancy put some bends in it like the stock one. Throw some paint at it and your done. Mine cost really nothing just my time. I got the aluminum as a scrap from the metal supply locally.

For something like this I would say go with Mountaintech! It is very high quality and extremely tough. Trust me when I say that it was my first mod and my most important one. It has seen tree stumps and rock outcrops and the only damage is some scrapes and gouges. I don't really believe that drilling a couple holes into a sheet of aluminum will give the same quality. It sits way too close to the engine to risk it, not to mention if you end up not having a nice fit you can allow snow onto the belt.

I'll second the mountaintech! Great product & bolts right, saved my a$$ last year. I'm sure a DIY one would work just fine as well & if you have the time & tools to do it go for it. If not mountaintech is the way to go.

Go for the mountaintech.
GREAT product and Great Quality. Save my life numerous time.
Here a picture last year. The plate it a rocks and folded in two.
Just heated it little bit and straightened it. Look like new now. Really tick and resistant.

IMG_20150222_095601.jpg
IMG_20150222_095608.jpg

I agree. Our crew of riders feel the same. We made our own skid plates. Just get some 3/16" aluminum trace out the stock shape. Cut and drill your holes. If you really want to get fancy put some bends in it like the stock one. Throw some paint at it and your done. Mine cost really nothing just my time. I got the aluminum as a scrap from the metal supply locally.
How are you guys attaching these home made plates?

I am really happy with the BOP skid plate. It is made very well and a great buy for the money. G.B.

Attachments

• BOP Skid Plate 2.jpg
    BOP Skid Plate 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 361
  • BOP Skid Plate.jpg
    BOP Skid Plate.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 212
Been 2 years since I did my "temporary" $5 DIY skid plate! I went w 3/16" alum vs steel to save weight, plenty tough, I have bounced off a few stumps. I posted the entire process on page 16 of my Nytro front end plus thread but a few pics below. I sandwiched aluminum between stock plastic stock belly pan and plastic skid plate using longer SS screws. I replaced the nut sides w clip ons nuts from Ace hardware store, rugged and low cost. If I were buying one, the Mountaintech full skid plate looks sweet.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back