• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DMC top gear wear (good things)

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
After wearing the stock gear to the point the chain case came out of gear within 1500 miles on my sled I swapped over to the DMC top gear. Both the factory top gear and the DMC gear were set to 1.5 turns out on the tensioner and both were driven about the same way. After 2000 more hard miles, this is what the bushing on the DMC looks like.

lxVAs1K.jpg

The small line in the bushing is from a raised ridge on the jackshaft where the stock gear rested on a circlip. Overall I would say the DMC gear is a good long term fix for the chain case on these sleds.

Now to figure out how to make the shocks hold up....

Good to see. Is that stock 21T gearing?

Fist I hear about the Sidewinder being hard on shocks?

Good to see. Is that stock 21T gearing?

Fist I hear about the Sidewinder being hard on shocks?
It is the stock 21T gearing, lots of hard pulls and a fair amount of 120+MPH on the gear.

I think the shock problems I am having have more to do with the driver than the sled....

BOP has stronger shock support shaft if center is bent.
Already have that in the sled. My whole skid took a beating last year, between my usage of the happy flipper and stud/track problems it got pretty well beat up. I think the front shock was almost completely blown out at some point, I can compress it in about a second by hand....

Rear skid front shocks need to be checked yearly. I've had 20 plus shocks rebuilt so far on customers sleds. Also keep an eye on those brass bushing top gears, as soon as they start to wear and they will things go south fast.

Great report from our camp on the DMC top gear as well. Two winders and a Tcat with all 3 putting over 2500 miles last season. It was very nice opening these chain cases and seeing no noticeable wear on the top gear bushing. They were all still tight on the shaft and all 3 gears went back in for another season.

Already have that in the sled. My whole skid took a beating last year, between my usage of the happy flipper and stud/track problems it got pretty well beat up. I think the front shock was almost completely blown out at some point, I can compress it in about a second by hand....
My rear skid took a beating last year as well. Center shock took a blow from a rock tumbling around inside skid and put a hole in the rezi can, chips on the rails from rocks bouncing around, rear bogey wheel has a nice gouge on the plastic from rocks, small bogey wheels didn't fair well either and wore out the the hyfax. That's what a low snow year did to my skid.

The stock FOX springs are NOT high quality.
My front rear spring broke & i believe it's why my tunnel folded needing a WHOLE new chassis.
HYGEAR replaced them & told me i was NOT the first guy. The most common shock with spring failure.

I NOW rebuild all every year, but i'm also putting on 5000 miles a year.
The first rebuild i get them re-sprung if HYGEAR has better.

P.S:
I seem to be spending more & more $ every year cuz of what's happened to me since owning a Sidewinder.
I actually consider it an Omen. Lessons of life.
The riding season is sooo short & unpredictable, that an extra $500 is peace of mind.

My 2017 LTX-LE came with what Yamaha called the better shock package for it’s models in that year.
I have had no problem with shock failures, but did find a couple of weak spots in the shock shafts when taking them apart for rebuild a couple of seasons ago. Lower shafts on those shocks wear a lot, and if not caught in time, it will damage the bottom shock eye by making it egg shape with wear! I caught mine in time. Friend of mine with twice my mileage had to do both, replace shafts and have his front shock repaired!

Other models from that year like the DX, came with much cheaper shocks, and those were know to break and cause lots of track damage on some. It’s all in the way you beat and maintain these Yamacats.

can i get a 25 top gear from DMC, my gearing is 25/45, i like running the larger gears as there is less rolling resistance.... chain doesnt have to bend as much each rotation.

Only seeing a 24, 21,22. Maybe try to contact them. Cant see why they couldn't make a 25?

Back