• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DNR partners with sheriff's deputies to patrol snowmobile noise complaints in the City of Houghton

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
dnr-logo-space_original.png

Upper Peninsula DNR News

Feb. 17, 2017

DNR partners with sheriff's deputies to patrol snowmobile noise complaints in the City of Houghton
Enforcement effort aimed at retaining Michigan snowmobile trail access

Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers teamed up with deputies from the Houghton County Sheriff's Office to address several recent loud noise complaints in the City of Houghton.

The group sound enforcement patrol was conducted Feb. 11 along Trail No. 3 at Kestner Waterfront Park.

"We were targeting snowmobile safety violations, registration and trail permit compliance, along with sound enforcement," said Sgt. Ryan Aho, a DNR area law supervisor from the Ishpeming office.
patrol_original.jpeg

More than 450 snowmobilers were contacted throughout the day by the officers in the group patrol. Various law violations were addressed.

Seven tickets were issued for registration violations, three tickets were issued for failure to obtain a trail permit and 29 verbal warnings were given for various registration and trail permit violations.

In one incident, DNR Conservation Officers Ethen Mapes and Brian Lasanen stopped a group of four snowmobilers for failing to stop at a stop sign.
"Through their investigation, it was determined that all four operators were driving under the influence of drugs," said Sgt. Grant Emery, a DNR area law supervisor from the Baraga office.
The four snowmobilers were arrested and jailed for operating a snowmobile while under the influence of a controlled substance. Two of the riders were also ticketed for careless operation of a snowmobile. The Houghton County prosecuting attorney has authorized charging one of the riders for being in possession of marijuana.
"Many positive comments were received from local residents who live on Lakeshore Drive, thanking conservation officers for enforcing the sound emissions regulation on snowmobiles," said DNR Conservation Officer Mark Leadman.

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and, when in constant operation, noise emission cannot exceed 88 decibels at a distance of 13.1 feet. This is measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567 for a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980.

Riders whose sleds exceed the established noise limits can be ticketed.

During the Houghton enforcement effort, 15 riders were ticketed for exceeding the 88-decibel limit. In a similar patrol the same day, in Grand Marais in Alger County, conservation officers ticketed nine snowmobilers for exceeding the decibel sound limit.

Enforcing snowmobile noise violations is part of a statewide effort to create more enjoyable experiences for all trail riders, and to help ensure the state's 6,200 miles of snowmobile trails – half of which run through private land – remain open to snowmobilers in the future.

Michigan's vast snowmobile trail system is the result of partnerships with private landowners who, through annual leases between the landowners and snowmobile clubs, open portions of their land for snowmobile trails.

Without these partnerships, the expansive, interconnected trail system enjoyed by thousands of snowmobilers each year wouldn't exist.

"I usually tell the person whose machine is being tested that we have approximately 3,100 miles of snowmobile trails in the Upper Peninsula and over 50 percent of our trails are on private land," Aho said. "We have lost 200 miles of snowmobile trails because of snowmobile sound complaints and trespass issues. I then explain that when the trails are re- routed, the quality of the trail suffers."

Aho said after providing the reasons behind the patrols, snowmobilers often understand and appreciate the enforcement effort, sometimes thanking the officers for what they do.

During the Houghton patrol, multiple snowmobilers who received tickets for noise violations thanked Aho and Leadman, and shook their hands for enforcing the snowmobile emissions law.

"They realize that the enforcement efforts by DNR conservation officers are actually saving snowmobile trails," Aho said.

For more information on snowmobiling in Michigan, including current laws and regulations, visit the DNR's website at www.michigan.gov/snowmobiling.

Michigan conservation officers are fully commissioned state peace officers who provide natural resources protection, ensure recreational safety and protect citizens by providing general law enforcement duties and lifesaving operations in the communities they serve.

Learn more about conservation officers at www.michigan.gov/conservationofficers.

/Note to editors: An accompanying photo is available below for download. A suggested caption follows. Credit: Kristin Ojaniemi.

Patrol: Michigan Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officers working their recent joint snowmobile enforcement patrol with the Houghton County Sheriff's Office in the city of Houghton./

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

Well this is a great way to run off business in the U.P. in a time of low snow year!! I get it, loud sleds are closing trails.. what about loud bikes on the road that rip by my house loud as hell all the time. I know its maybe not the same thing. What I wonder is how can they hand out tickets when some of the old sleds could never pass the DB test of today.

You're kidding right? Noise and trespass are the biggest reasons for lost trail, yet you imply they should not enforce the law because of low snow? As for the loud bikes, that's a totally different issue. As for older sleds, I've not heard of anyone being ticketed for an older sled with stock exhaust. I believe the db limit in the law is adequate enough that older sleds can pass with a stock exhaust.

You're kidding right? Noise and trespass are the biggest reasons for lost trail, yet you imply they should not enforce the law because of low snow? As for the loud bikes, that's a totally different issue. As for older sleds, I've not heard of anyone being ticketed for an older sled with stock exhaust. I believe the db limit in the law is adequate enough that older sleds can pass with a stock exhaust.

No I am not kidding. If they are going to police it, then they need to stay with it the entire season. Its like any law, texting and driving, speeding.. are they out there still doing it, yes.. then stay on it and hand out tickets. They should also fine those riders who think they can ride anyplace they want.... maybe more education is in order.

I've seen more and more patrols, but I have a feeling they struggle with the amount of Leo's it takes to do the sound testing. It probably isn't easily transported out to the woods and probably takes more officers than just reg/permit checks. As evidenced by the citation to contact ratio, it's a small percentage giving the sport negative attention. Leo's in this state are already in short supply, and we do not have dedicated road enforcement. I agree with this law and the reasons for it, but frankly would rather my Leo's focus on more important crime.

The real problem is not a loud exhaust. The problem is the idiots who have a modified exhaust and feel the need to show it off to everyone. Those people are the same ones that feel the need to jump off of the trail right in front of the "stay on trail" signs.

This same scenario goes for loud bikes or cars. People feel the need to show off their modified machines to the point of being obnoxious. I get it, how do you police the people that are the ones that are really causing the issues, but this gives people who have any modifications reservations about traveling to MI and boosting the tourism there.

There is no perfect answer with making the land owners happy and not punishing the people who have done nothing wrong, but I think this could really hurt them.

I've seen more and more patrols, but I have a feeling they struggle with the amount of Leo's it takes to do the sound testing. It probably isn't easily transported out to the woods and probably takes more officers than just reg/permit checks. As evidenced by the citation to contact ratio, it's a small percentage giving the sport negative attention. Leo's in this state are already in short supply, and we do not have dedicated road enforcement. I agree with this law and the reasons for it, but frankly would rather my Leo's focus on more important crime.

I agree.. a few bad apples can really ruin the sport for us.

Trail closures on private land are a direct result of lack of respect. Respect for land owners and the general public. Louder exhaust is not the cause. The disresperctful Tucker Hibbert wannabies throttle jockeys are the cause.
Its unfair that sleds are policed so tightly on the exhaust. I understand that the law clearly states that one can not modify a vehicle and yet we all do and drive these vehicles on a daily basis.
Enforcement on sleds should be treated the same as cars, trucks and bikes. When is the last time you have seen a straight piped HD pulled over for loud exhaust or a sky jacked diesel 4x4 on steroids. I for one have never seen it. Both are illegal yet a blind eye is turned.
The sledding community makes up a very small percentage of motorized vehicles and yet have the largest impact on seasonal depend retailers. Many places would need to close their doors if were not for the sledders needing gas, food and lodging in the winter.

I count myself very fortunate to live and sled where I do. No enforced speed limits nor noise pollution. We do have suggested speed limits but that's about it. I'm sure regulations will come sooner than later around here . So for now I will enjoy my freedom on the trails.

I hear if you put Harley Davidson stickers on your vehicle you don't need any exhaust and can drive anywhere!!!

Good to see they are working to weed out the idiots and keep the trails open. The communities rely on the tourism.

I hear what you guys are saying and I can't disagree with any of it. If there is a law it should be equally and consistently enforced - snowmobile, motorcycle, etc. The fact is, those that don't like loud pipes don't have the power to close our roads. But they do have the power to close our tails. Apples & oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand everyone has thier own opinion on this, but as someone who lives on a lake with a snowmobile trail in front of my house I will offer mine. I love snowmobiling and the machines, I work all year to be able to ride in the winter. When someone buzzes my house @ 2 AM after getting kicked from the bars with thier loud pipes, setting the dogs off barking and ruining my sleep before working the next day, I am not happy. If I did not love snowmobiling the way I do, well I don't know. If we as snowmobilers cannot police ourselves, maybe we need this. It is better than losing places to ride. Yes there is an prejudice against snowmobiles, we all know that, but is that an excuse to behave poorly?

The people that are doing this don't read these reports. I heard several sleds that are as loud as hell. I wouldn't want to hear that at night either. Its just a matter of respect for others. If you want to have a loud sled that up to you and where you ride. I hate seeing trails getting closed due to a few idiots.

Back