• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do I need clutching????

Kkurz

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sno-Pro Limited
(Yamaha powered)
So I bought a Sandale Trail can for my XF. Sounds great! My question is, can I run it on a stock sled, or will I need to clutch it? I'm not a speed freak so I'm not too concerned about top end. I know mine has Cat clutches but I was wondering if I'll be hitting the rev limiter all the time. Thanks for the help guys!

I believe the cat's were geared different too, you shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter with just the can, until you open up the intake, from my experience any sled can benefit from a good adjustable clutch kit.

I dont see as many kits advertised for the 7000 with the Yammie motors. Ive never attempted clutxh work myself but I will if I have to.

Judging by your profile pic looks like you have a 2014? The 14 7000's had fairly light clutch weights from factory and would rev quite high with low miles and only got higher once they broke in more. In 2015 cat put heavier clutch weights in from factory. Did you ever have any recalls or updates to have the newer weights put in? Not even sure if they offered it as an update. If not, something as simple as that would help a lot with a can on it which indeed will add power and need more weight in the primary. Cousin put a d&d clutch kit on his 2014 with torsional secondary, big improvement!..but the factory clutching for that year was certainly lacking as far as performance.

When i bought the sled I asked my local dealer if there was any outstanding recalls, and all they said it needed was a reflash. Hopefully it had the weights updated. Does the D&D have weights that are easily changed? I would imagine that would make tuning easier...

When i bought the sled I asked my local dealer if there was any outstanding recalls, and all they said it needed was a reflash. Hopefully it had the weights updated. Does the D&D have weights that are easily changed? I would imagine that would make tuning easier...

I know they have their magnaforce weights but I believe the 7000 kits they sold all came with their big dog weights which are a fix weight.

I use the D&D kit with the big dog weights and a Sandale muffler on our 14' 7000. The weights aren't adjustable but in my case they didn't need to be. It works great. RPM was bang on at 9k max with the combo. Tell them you want the kit for a sled with an aftermarket muffler. The weights are a couple grams heavier than the kit for a stock muffler setup. Easy install. New weights for the primary and a helix and spring for the secondary. You need to drill one hole in the secondary clutch for the new "torsional" spring. I used the stock muffler kit with the lighter big dog weights initially when it was stock exhaust and the RPM's were also where they said they would be.

I'd be surprised if you weren't banging off the limiter with the stock clutching and aftermarket muffler but you could try it. The clutch kit is a great upgrade to do regardless.

I have airbox mod and ulmer can with no issues...i have the updated weights in. I run a 1.77 track and it rips and ive not had any belt issues

I have a 2015 AC XF7000 with the D&D clutch kit. The kit has big dog fixed weights. The kit made a huge difference. Just like drumz11 I was right at 9k for rpm’s with the D&D kit. I did stingrays airbox mod at the end of last season, I was surprised how much that woke the sled up. Makes me want to put an excel CAI in it! But now I’m really hitting the rev limiter so I bought
the next size bigger weights from D&D. Hopefully that fixes the over rev. That and a new belt. If you like you’re 2014 AC 7000 with stock clutches, you’re REALLY going to like the sled after you clutch it.

Back