• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you HAVE to replace the circlip on the secondary?

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
I had my secondary apart to clean the sheaves a little while ago, and simply reused the original circlip. The sled is all back together and ready to load up tomorrow for a trip out west. I was doing a bit a searching tonight on an unrelated subject and came across all the posts about always replacing the circlip with a new one because they can let loose.

Is this still an issue? I looked up the part at my local dealer, and it appears it has been updated with a new part number. I compared the circlip on the secondary in question from my 2010, with one from an 08. While they look the same, the one on the 08 looks like it could let go easily, where as the one on the 2010 snapped completely back into place.

secondaryCirclip.PNG

Did Yamaha make these circlips better and my 2010 has the better version, or am I screwed for my trip and have to try and drive all over trying to find one and get it installed before we leave?

DF - Working with these clutches, as long as it isn't sloopy, loose and fits in there snug....you shouldn't have a problem on your trip bud

Well, you are risking it as it is documented that they do fail. Here's one that failed on a 2016:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/secondary-clutch-venture-mp.152368/

Phazer and MP use the same clutch. You have to be sure it was installed correctly, even if new. It goes one way with the "sharp" edge pointing out. The one in the link machined it and used a much stronger clip.

ugh, you guys a killing me! The closet dealer that had one in stock was 3 hours out of the way. I'm trying to order one and have it shipped to our destination but even that is proving difficult.

EDIT:
Yup I got away with it for a few years and then it finally let go. Makes a mess.

Cannon, are you saying you got away with taking it off and reusing for a few years before it let go? I am convinced I am the first one to remove it. The sled only has 1800 on it and based on the filthiness of the sheaves, I dont think anyone has ever opened it before.

Last edited:
ugh, you guys a killing me! The closet dealer that had one in stock was 3 hours out of the way. I'm trying to order one and have it shipped to our destination but even that is proving difficult.

EDIT:

Cannon, are you saying you got away with taking it off and reusing for a few years before it let go? I am convinced I am the first one to remove it. The sled only has 1800 on it and based on the filthiness of the sheaves, I dont think anyone has ever opened it before.
Yes I had it apart a few times before it sheared the splines right off and then slammed into the bearing taking the bearing and secondary out. I am sorry Digital. It's probably not going to happen to you. Odds are in your favor just go ride the damn thing!

Go ride. Have fun. If it breaks fix it, rent a sled and ride, fix it over the summer. When you fire up the mill to knock the 3/4 inch (or so) of splines out of that modern secondary make sure you do the two I have sitting in the shelf too. Then I'll finally get them swapped onto my phazers too.

Back