• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does anyone ride a stock Yami anymore?

SqueezeER

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Winder Ltx LE
I added a bag and a windshield. That's it. I don't race, or ride snow cross tracks. I bought a trail sled, to ride on the trail. I ride hard. I go from one corner to another, and quick as possible. Plus I like to put the miles on. So I bought a Yamaha 4s motor because I don't want to be stuck on the trail blown up. I thought historically, they are the best!? Or am I wrong?

Most of the posts on this forum are about upgrades and issues. I also get that forums are a good way to pass on information and get information on those subjects.

But...

Do the majority of Yamaha owners buy the sleds and actually drive the thing, without putting another 5k or whatever into it?

So I guess what I'm getting at, is do these motors and clutches really need to be modified? BESIDES WANTING MORE SPEED!

Does a Yamaha clutch need to be changed? Does a Turbo really need to be added to a viper (buy a sidewinder)? Do I really need to change out gears, skis, add wheels, bla bla bla.

To each their own, but I'm specifically talking about quality here. I shouldn't have to add a thing to my sled to not get stranded in the bush.

Thoughts?

Lots of us ride them stock. Lots of us do tweaks to make them better for our particular wants/needs and desires. Its no different than the old days of putting a better stereo in your truck. The factory one played music as well, it just wasn't what many of us wanted.

Since I have owned snowmobiles, quads, motorcycles or any toys people have been upgrading or tweaking them. It is part of the hobby I guess.

All depends on the rider. You can leave your Viper stock if you are happy with it. There are upgrades to tap into. Like clutching, sure the clutches work fine stock but if you really want the full potential of putting the power to the track then clutching needs to be changed. I personally put Mo flow vents on the knee plastics so that when I run in warmer weather, I get more air flow. Clutches and everything else under the hood runs cooler. I upgraded my skis because I wanted wider skis ( I like to ice fish and when the slush gets bad I have better flotation.) I also wanted more control on the trails. I moved my Fuse box just out of pure convince, if I ever blow a fuse I have direct access. I upgraded to a LED light because I wanted to be able to see better at night. Original light worked just not as good as the LED. I bought a GGB trail pipe to lighten the sled up and to have better access to the chain case, but took it off because of the sound. I don't think anything has to be done to the Vipers, Side Winders other than proper maintenance. This website will get you thinking. Lol . Before you know it your doing something to your sled.

I added a bag and a windshield. That's it. I don't race, or ride snow cross tracks. I bought a trail sled, to ride on the trail. I ride hard. I go from one corner to another, and quick as possible. Plus I like to put the miles on. So I bought a Yamaha 4s motor because I don't want to be stuck on the trail blown up. I thought historically, they are the best!? Or am I wrong?

Most of the posts on this forum are about upgrades and issues. I also get that forums are a good way to pass on information and get information on those subjects.

But...

Do the majority of Yamaha owners buy the sleds and actually drive the thing, without putting another 5k or whatever into it?

So I guess what I'm getting at, is do these motors and clutches really need to be modified? BESIDES WANTING MORE SPEED!

Does a Yamaha clutch need to be changed? Does a Turbo really need to be added to a viper (buy a sidewinder)? Do I really need to change out gears, skis, add wheels, bla bla bla.

To each their own, but I'm specifically talking about quality here. I shouldn't have to add a thing to my sled to not get stranded in the bush.

Thoughts?
If you mean go fast mods I don't ever, I leave them stock and enjoy the long term reliability! Being a technician I know if you modify, expect excess wear and breakdowns. Leave it stock and enjoy!
I add comfort/safety items, big windshield, studs, mirrors, storage bag, dual carbides, dupont slides, HID headlights, handguards, I spent about $1k on each sled.

most of the public don't change or mod their sleds like the bulk of the people on this site. This is a place for everything ie problems and solutions as well as a place for gearheads to share and learn from each other how to spend way to much money on an addiction that has no cure.

most of the public don't change or mod their sleds like the bulk of the people on this site. This is a place for everything ie problems and solutions as well as a place for gearheads to share and learn from each other how to spend way to much money on an addiction that has no cure.

I am def not a gear head, so I wouldn't know how to do pretty much anything. First sled n all. The gas n go (FAST) lifestyle is the life for me!

Nah... most people I know leave their sleds pretty much stock. Exhaust is a popular thing to change, and often people add some tunnel storage, but that's the extent of a typical owner around here.

Very similar to trucks. Most Tacoma's on the road are stock. Maybe a stereo, a canopy, or a different set of rims here or there. I used to practically live on a Tacoma enthusiast forum and that place would give you the impression that $50k in mods was "normal".

I plan on leaving my Yamaha mostly stock with some added storage. If my Tacoma is any indication there will be sawzalls, forced induction, and a crying bank account in my future.

But...

Thoughts?

Depends what you want out of your ride I guess. Mine is modded for comfort and handling on the trails. Carbides for zero darting, studded track for safety on the ice, Yamaheaters for my not so young hands, HID to see further at night and again a safety thing
Clutch kit because I could ( does not really need it as stock is really good) and other gadgets and luggage for convenience. I know lots of people that ride their Yamaha in stock form.

i mainly mod for my comfort as a rider and to protect/get the sled to do what i need it to do. all told i usually only have $1200.00 into gaurds, braces, riser, hitch, skis and clutching as i brush pop/break trail, ice fish, haul wood and trail ride with all my sleds. now i do put better stuff on when something fails/wears out if i can but usually the stock stuff is enough for what i need. heck the 2011 is probably going to get an 1-1/2" track when i replace it for next season but it has 13000 miles on it and is shedding paddles so i would say it is due.

All my mods are to make it more robust to avoid future issues ie: roll over valve delete. Otherwise happy with stock. More focussed on longer runs when the opportunity presents itself. So more power is not that enticing . The SW has gobs to spare stock.

So you are not alone.
Ms

I'm a gearhead and have many "upgrades" to it. A friend of mine bought his sidewinder at the same time as me and last week was the first time he took the covers off it. I had to show him how! We are both happy with our sleds the way they are.

I believe the majority are stock. My Viper and Sidewinder are stock but like others have simple mods like bigger windys, better skis, bigger tunnel bags, 4th wheel kits and 2 Vipers in our group opted for a better shock package. Overall all our group of 4 Vipers and 3 Sidewinders are stock with just personal mods for comfort.

IMO replacing the factory carbides is pretty much a necessity. Also a windshield depending on the model you bought. Then some sort of studs or prestudded track if you ride anywhere there may be icy trails. Then comes the other stuff, skis, clutch kit, storage bags....those things are like customizing.

Both my 17 Sidewinder LTX-LE and 16 Apex XTX are "stock" Changes are for how we ride, additional storage, better windshield, hand guards, front bumper you can actually grab onto, studding and carbides.

Back